Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas, tips and advice for home reno

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Ideas, tips and advice for home reno

Hi All.

We've just purchased a house and we'll be getting the keys in December.

I'm fishing for tips, ideas and advice for a home reno. What mistakes have you made that we should avoid?

We don't have to move in for a few months, so we're planning to DIY as much as we can, such as painting, floor sanding, ripping up carpets, etc.

Looking at our plans, do you have any nifty ideas?

To the right of the plan is a main road. The bottom is a side road. The left and top are neighbour boundaries (The garage is connected to the neighbours garage)

We want to keep the budget as low as possible, maybe 50-60k (Includes garden and new fence to soundproof the main road.

One day, we'd like to be able to maybe extend and add an ensuite and a walk in robe if we can. We want to keep it as minimum 3 bedrooms.

Any nifty ideas on how to add a 2nd ensuite bathroom in the existing space (my guess is the floor area is a little small for this).

We're thinking to maybe knock down the wall between living and dining/kitchen (it is load bearing though).

Any tips for the kitchen area? (Currently there is no dishwasher)IMG-20191002-WA0011.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0012.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0013.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0014.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0015.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0016.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0017.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0018.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0019.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0020.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0022.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0024.jpgIMG-20191003-WA0004 copy.jpgIMG-20191003-WA0004.jpgP_20190928_132028.jpgP_20190928_132055.jpgP_20190928_132406.jpgP_20190928_132409.jpg

Regards

Itai

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ideas, tips and advice for home reno

Thanks for joining in the discussion @kpike. It would be great to see some before and after photos of your renovation to see what you achieved. I'm sure Workshop members would find it very inspiring. 

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join us and look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We have loads of like-minded members happy to roll their sleeves up and have a go.  

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Itai
Becoming a Leader

Thanks @Jason 

Already started watching the Bunnings series :smile:

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Thanks @ProjectPete & @Kermit That's a good idea about posting the rooms separately, as it does seem confusing with that long list of images.

I think as I tackle smaller spaces and becoming more specific, I will begin to do that.

I was hoping in this one to give people a general feel for the overall home.

Once we're ready to tackle the kitchen and stuff, that will definitely require it's own posts. Bedrooms will be relatively easy I guess :smile:

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Thanks @kpike. Good tip on doing the sanding after painting. Was the sanding and coating the floors difficult? Any tips for that part?

When you say you removed the awnings, are you referring to the shade cloths over the windows?

Also, how did you know you had galvanized pipes and needed rewiring? I assume those two didn't come cheap?

Regards

Itai

kpike
Getting Established

I got a tradesman in to do the floors, cost about $2k. I gutted the kitchen area myself (dirty filthy work!😂) and had to get an electrician out to ‘secure’ the bare wires after the switches etc were removed and he told me it had to be re done based on the colour of the plastic covering on the wiring. Cost about $2.5k. The house was built in 1968 so only gal pipe was used. I can get under my house and could see the typical old grey looking pipes, however some new piping was in place so had it partially removed. The water pipes from the water metre to the house had thankfully been done but only found that out after I got the plumber in. Cost about $3k. Check your pipes that drain your bathroom as well. When the bathroom was done the pipes that drain the water were galvanised, however they were in good order so a problem for a later date one day but not now. Drains freely. The problem with galvanised pipes is that they rust from the inside until they get so bad minimal or no water will come through or drain.

Happy to help! Oh by the way, if I can do it, you can do it. I started 5 years ago and am still completing the outside painting of the house. I’m 61 now, live alone and work full time. You’ll have no problem 😊

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Itai 

@Kermitis correct there is a lot to talk about, but we need a place to start. Thank you @Kermit for the shout out. I suggest the following.

1. Do you wish to have a running theme for your renovation? Hampton look? Modern? Vouge retro modern retro? 

2. I suggest to begin in the kitchen.

3. See suggestion number 1.

Check google for the look your after. When you find one post a picture of the look and feel. We can then make more suggestions. But in the mean time enjoy these pictures.

Tadah! Dishwasher! I personally like the tiles.Tadah! Dishwasher! I personally like the tiles.Remove the tall units and move to oposite wall.Remove the tall units and move to oposite wall.Yes that island is appoximately 2.2 meters long and will fit the room! It will work with or without the dividing wall to your living room.Yes that island is appoximately 2.2 meters long and will fit the room! It will work with or without the dividing wall to your living room.18mm finishing panel, 600mm base cabinet, 900mm base cabinet, 600mm 3 drawer base cabinet, 18mm finishing panel.18mm finishing panel, 600mm base cabinet, 900mm base cabinet, 600mm 3 drawer base cabinet, 18mm finishing panel.600mm pantry, 600mm oven tower, 800mm fridge space, yes you can have a 900 space if needed.600mm pantry, 600mm oven tower, 800mm fridge space, yes you can have a 900 space if needed.itai5.jpgitai6.jpgLayout is based on 4900x4700 total room dimensions as indicated on your plan. All apliances are measured to actual live products. These are common sizes but not absolute, please refer to manufacturers specs upon purchase.Layout is based on 4900x4700 total room dimensions as indicated on your plan. All apliances are measured to actual live products. These are common sizes but not absolute, please refer to manufacturers specs upon purchase.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Thanks @kpike

I went to the house the other day. I think it might be galvanized based on a photo I took of the main water line cutoff. However, the pipes are all flowing beautifully ... so perhaps I still have more years on the pipes. It'll be a big job to do, as there is no under house access unfortunately.

And thanks for the words of encouragement :smile:

Hey @redracer01 

It's a good point. My wife and I haven't discussed any specific looks yet. Just been saving photos of stuff we like on Houzz, pinterest, etc. But we're only getting started. Is there a good guide as to what the different house themes are? (When I first saw Hampton, I thought they meant the suburb in Victoria :laugh: )

It's a good idea with beginning in the kitchen. Though that said, as we haven't lived in it yet, we don't know if we should or shouldn't revamp the kitchen up front. The common advice has been to give it 6 months. Though it would be nice to do this all when we don't live there.

That's a really cool kitchen layout, thanks for sharing that. Would that work though where the oven and fridge is if that's a thuroughfare to the backyard / deck (to be)? We were maybe thinking that if that wall was opened, that would be where dining goes? I'm not sure the lounge area is big enough for dining + lounge. What do you think?

I think one thing we will do up front is knock down that centre wall. We've had quite a few people walk through the house and agree that wall should go.

Thanks

Itai

kpike
Getting Established

If they’re still flowing freely then it’s all ok. Even if things changed in the distant future, plumbers have a way of overcoming these things in ways we wouldn’t even think of. 

Good luck and I’ll try to get some ‘before photos’ off my Otis iPhone to show you when I get a moment. Renovating builds confidence in yourself, you’ll love it when it’s done! 😊

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Thanks for the advice @kpike :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects