Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

I just bought a double brick apartment and would love some advice

magen_
Cultivating a Following

I just bought a double brick apartment and would love some advice

Hi! 

I just settled on my new home, an apartment in an Art Deco building in Ascot Vale. 

I have some experience renovating (I just sold my family home which I renovated extensively, a lot of it myself), but that was a 1950s double-fronted weatherboard. Easy access to electrics and plumbing behind the plaster, house on stumps, walls easily removed... I’m completely out of my element in a double brick property, especially an apartment, where all the internal walls are double brick and are likely supporting the upper floors. 

I’m engaging a few builders for quotes and will also speak to an architect, but my main issues at the moment will be renovating if I’m unable to remove any walls. The space is pretty small, and the kitchen is awkward in that it has two doorways (one into the room and one to the backyard). 

I have a few ideas, but ideas you may have for anything at all, or suggestions/basic costs for removal of internal double brick walls would be appreciated. I’m a sponge and will soak up all your knowledge and experience. I’ll be doing as much as I can myself going forward, but given the complexities and age of the building, I’ll be leaving a lot of the work to the professionals. 

Thank you in advance :smile: I’d like to add shelves above the built-ins (I have a lot of books!), and replace what’s now a small electric heater with a gas log fireplace.I’d like to add shelves above the built-ins (I have a lot of books!), and replace what’s now a small electric heater with a gas log fireplace.

The bath will be coming out.The bath will be coming out.

170D4E26-149D-4ABD-84D3-FBBEEBB2A6B6.jpeg

I don’t have the kitchen/bathroom measurements handy, but they’re small. All doorways are all also narrower than normal.I don’t have the kitchen/bathroom measurements handy, but they’re small. All doorways are all also narrower than normal.

I’d like to keep this section, but will be removing/replacing the blinds and replacing the exhaust fan. Doesn’t seem to be doing much (there’s some mould on the ceiling). That light will also be removed/replaced.I’d like to keep this section, but will be removing/replacing the blinds and replacing the exhaust fan. Doesn’t seem to be doing much (there’s some mould on the ceiling). That light will also be removed/replaced.

The door into the toilet will be coming off. Judging by the amount of dust on top of it it was never closed anyway.The door into the toilet will be coming off. Judging by the amount of dust on top of it it was never closed anyway.The most basic of ideas I have without removing walls. I have a few ideas for the kitchen and bathroom sketched out somewhere.The most basic of ideas I have without removing walls. I have a few ideas for the kitchen and bathroom sketched out somewhere.

Hall down to the bathroom and second bedroomHall down to the bathroom and second bedroom

Other half of the kitchen. The entry door is to the left.Other half of the kitchen. The entry door is to the left.

magen_
Cultivating a Following

Re: I just bought a double brick apartment and would love some advice

@redracer01 This is amazing, thank you so much! I hadn’t thought too much about extending that side of things because the current oven setup is all double brick and will be expensive to remove. I think it’ll be worth it in the end though. 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Here are better views. This of course is on the assumption that the current dividers and shelves on the cooking side wall can be removed and we can have a plain straight wall to start with. This kitchen is based on measurements at 3 meters x 3 meters. Looking at your plan it seems to be more or less the same size as one of your bedrooms. If you have any questions please send me a message here on workshop. Enjoy the pictures.

I've left the walls at the end unfinished for viewing purposes.I've left the walls at the end unfinished for viewing purposes.I'm assuming the door opens in. Represnted by the grey door on the right.I'm assuming the door opens in. Represnted by the grey door on the right.Sink side with cabinets.Sink side with cabinets.Sink side with shelves.Sink side with shelves.The view commin in from the outside door.The view commin in from the outside door.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

magen_
Cultivating a Following

@redracer01 You are fantastic. Those plans are a great starting point for me, thank you so much for your time! You've given me a lot to think about. 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

@magen_ 

This is a very special cabinet mirror. It's a custom cabinet mirror with some special features. It's 1900 mm wide 600mm tall and about 150 mm deep doors included. The last cabinet door on the right and the last door on the left do not have any backing board. This allows you to put your hand through and still open the windows. It is suppose to occupy that entire wall from left to right. The cabinet doors can be left open to allow  sunlight to come in during the day, seeing as the sun seems to be shinning through in the afternoon. How ever at night the doors can be closed and it will have that seamless look. Because the cabinet is mounted on the outside wall and not on the interior center wall of the window there is a lot of space for ventilation. I suggest LED lights under the bottom shelf and above the top shelf. Your exhaust fan should not be a problem as you can install it in the same place and will still manage to have enough room to function without any hindrance from the mirror cabinet. The question is how much will this custom wall cabinet cost you. If you think the idea has merit drop me a line and I will post the proposed cabinet with measurements.

I suggest we remove the bath unless you like to soak. A standard 400 mm glass shower panel from highgrove should finish it off and tiles of your choice. Soon as chance permits I will post a few more ideas.

I suggest wall hanging the cabinets to protect them from any possible water mishaps.I suggest wall hanging the cabinets to protect them from any possible water mishaps.What it might look like withot the bath.What it might look like withot the bath.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

@magen_ 

How are you going? Did you get stuck in? Or has the enormity of the thing still got you pondering? 😂

Hope you're going well, and the decisions aren't too hard!

@Former Workshop member haha, I’ve kind of got started! I’ve had the electrician here checking and replacing all the switches and the switchboard. Apparently I’ll need to rewire at some point so I’m not looking forward to that, but he’s given me some time by installing safety switches etc. 

I’ve got a friend lined up to help me paint so he’s been over a few times to chat about what we’re going to do, and I just had a quote to get the (Tasmanian oak!) floors polished. There’s heaps of glue on them so it’ll be a lot of work but definitely worth it. Next steps will be moving all the furniture back out, painting, then pulling up the carpet for the floors to get done. I’m also getting some shelving installed alongside the chimney breast and am replacing the light fittings. 

I’m leaving the kitchen and bathroom alone for now, I need some more time to think things over and get stuff done at work etc., but I think they’ll both happen in the new year. Once the floors and painting and things are done it’ll only be the kitchen and bathroom left so it’ll feel like a completely new place. 

A little over a month in and I’m really enjoying it here :smile: 

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

So glad you're enjoying it - those floors sound like a dream come true! I've always hated carpet and can't imagine why anyone would commit such a crime, lol.

Always a good idea to take your time and have a really good think - especially when it's a new place. You need to get a firm idea of how you live in the space, first.

Congrats!

MikeM84
Building a Reputation

Hi, 

I would congratulate you on purchasing a double brick apartment.

the first thing I would do is speak to your strata manager, as majority of apartment walls are structural, and if any neighbors complain, you may get visit from council/strata to rip off any un-approved renos.

I renovated my 2 bedroom apartment, renewed kitchen, bathroom, tiled the floors, even something as basic as this, took strata some time to get my approval to do the work.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects