Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to winter-proof your home

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How to winter-proof your home

Winterproof.png

It's the first day of winter and the cold weather has arrived.

Fortunately, there are some simple ways to winter-proof your home by keeping the cold out and sealing in the warmth, including sealing windows and doors, closing blinds and adding insulation. They not only help you stay warm, but can also save you money in energy costs. 

What are your tips for keeping your house warm this winter and your energy bills as low as possible?

Please add them by replying below.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to winter-proof your home

Insulation is so important. Makes a huge difference. 

A much more simple tip is just keeping a rug or two or a doona on the couch for when watching TV. I get cold when I'm not moving around the house, but being able to huddle under a rug stops the temptation of turning up the heating too high.

CathD
Making a Splash

Yes, I'm sure I've said it before here but don't forget the simple draught stopper or door snake. They really can make a difference to the temperature of a room. 

Sporky
Building a Reputation

I have a problem with heating in my house. We have our kitchen and living separated from our bedrooms and bathroom by a door and hallway.the heater points away from that part of the house and I'm finding that it's 24 in one half and 16 in the other!!

We are using blankets and have draught stopped our back doors but I think the cold is getting in through the windows... does that sound stupid?

Is there a way to "push" the air to circulate throughout the house? I live in housing that I can't renovate so ducted heating isn't an option :unhappy:
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

You might also want to get your windows sealed @Sporky.

People also use ceiling fans in reverse mode in winter to push warm air around the house. 

Sporky
Building a Reputation

Oh... what does that entail? Sorry, I've never heard of sealing windows. I thought glaziers did that when they installed them.... just goes to show how much I need to learn!!

I don't have a ceiling fan but I do have a reverse air con heater thing.... should I try that on fan only mode?
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Pretty easy @Sporky. You just use foam weather strips to stop the cold air from coming in between the window and the frame. 

This should help - https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/home-improvement/windows/how-to-seal-a-window

Sporky
Building a Reputation

Hi @Isobel sorry to bother you again but my windows don't open so there is no gap between the window and frame... or maybe there is but I can't figure it out?

It looks like the guy opened the window, installed the strip and closed it again. Where do you install it if the window is solid and doesn't open?
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

If your windows don't open then you're all good @Sporky. There's no gap to seal. :giggle:

Do your windows have curtains or blinds? That's the other element to consider for keeping the room warm.  

Sporky
Building a Reputation

Ahhhh I think I've found the culprit!! I have "blockout" blinds but no curtains. The air seems to be coming off the window and straight into our bedrooms. I haven't been able to afford to install curtain rods for heavy winter drapes or light summer lace.

I have hung a woolen blanket (the itchy kind) up on our bedroom window frame and screwed it into place. This will have to do until MIL cones down or I can find curtain rods at the op shop :smile:

Thank you @Isobel!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects