Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to start New Workshop? I seeking advice for tools and machinery

Hiaifale6
Just Starting Out

How to start New Workshop? I seeking advice for tools and machinery

I'd like to start off I'm honored to be part of this community.

My name is Sisi Taungakava married and Migrate from Tonga Last year. I can do office furniture,bedroom furniture ,casket I'm looking for advice how to start workshop here in NZ @Timaru 12301537_184636978549191_3054333435048813654_n.jpg14102787_1102620713164731_7709920836961569299_o.jpg31404288_616220972057454_3195469953170519147_n.jpg40600286_718783438467873_718410933264711680_n.jpg

Regards,

Sisi

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to start New Workshop? I seeking advice for tools and machinery

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Hiaifale6.

It's great to have you join us and many thanks for sharing some of your projects. You are obviously very skilled working with timber and I trust you'll fit right in with our other woodworking experts. What type of shop are you looking to set up, would it be commercial premises or an at-home workshop? Do you already have some tools or are you looking to acquire those also?

We look forward to hearing more about your workshop project as I trust our members will enjoy seeing your progress.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for getting back so quick.

Actually I'm looking to setup an at-home workshop and looking to acquire tools also.

Thanks,

Hiaifale6.

Hi @Hiaifale6,

You might like to start by taking a look at some of these fantastic workbenches our members have contributed to the community:

Some discussions you might find of benefit are What tools does a beginner needThe great power tools debate- What is the best brandWhat tools do you use the mostFrom the Start- hand tool recommendations and Beginner advice what tools do I need. All of these topics have some great suggestions of what our members feel are their most important tools in the workshop.

If you have some questions about the tools you wish to purchase or how you'd like to set up your workshop then I trust our members would be more than happy to share their experience and advice with you.

Mitchell

Razzer
Having an Impact

Hi Hiaifale6

As I am just helping a friend out with setting her garage up, so she can build/repair her furniture. Plus stops her from using my tools. I would probably look at the Ryobi range of power tools. With Sliding compound saws, bigger isn't always better. I have a 305mm sliding compound saw and have never maxed it out. I wish I had of saved the money and bought a smaller one, like the Ryobi 254mm. Then I could of bought more tools with the money I saved. I have Bosch Blue (cordless tools), Makita, Ozito, Festool and Ryobi. I am now starting to get the Ryobi cordless for 3 reasons. 1 There warranty is better then the others. 2 Price and 3 Ryobi have picked up there game and are making really good tools now. You can even research what people say about them on youtube. It would be better to suit your needs NOT wants. There are 3 power tools that make start ups easier I recon. A drop saw, cordless drill and cordless impact driver, get bigger batteries for your cordless aswell.

A well thought of workbench is a must, cause it gives you the right storage for your tools and the size of your garage. Having dust extraction is very handy, I started out with a 40lt wet and dry vacuum but have now upgraded to a proper dust extractor. A clean work shop does make things easier, plus its better for your health. From memory, my friend spent $2000 on starting herself up with everything she needs. This included Power tools, plus there accessories and also hand tools. She may upgrade the hand tools later and get alot more clamps but its a start. I have attached a few pics of some workbench ideas that Im looking at designing for her. Having mobile benches are handy when you have little space and you can attach them together for a bigger setup area to work on.IMG_1586_0.JPGIMG_1589.JPGbuilt in mitersaw workbench woodworking.jpgRoll-away-workbench.jpgbuild your own workbench tool storage clamps.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great stuff @Razzer, thanks so much for sharing your experience and knowledge with the community.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects