Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to deter spiders?? There seems to be a plague right now.

Kim
Having an Impact

How to deter spiders?? There seems to be a plague right now.

I used to be terrified of spiders, but have improved in my adult years and don't freak out like I used to.

However that doesn't mean I want a house full of them.  We've had a constant stream of spiders in the house over the past 2 months.  About 5 large huntsman included.  Without fail the huntsmen always seem to appear in the same two spots - either in the garage, or in our rear alfresco area.  We have a large bank of Yuccas spanning the front yard and I'm sure they come from there.

We've had a few large white tails in the house too.  

I'm also conscious how my behaviour might impact my children's fear of spiders so try to keep it under wraps.

So Workshoppers, what is the best way to keep them out of your house?  

K

Jackson
Making a Splash

Re: How to deter spiders?? There seems to be a plague right now.

Have you thought about buying a pet to hunt them? Maybe a lizard? A hive of wasps? Bigger spiders? 

In all seriousness, I've heard that cats are a great way to keep spiders under control. They will actively hunt and kill spiders.

Alicia
Building a Reputation

I don't like using too many chemicals in the house so I'd try filling a spray bottle with peppermint essential oil and spraying that around the house. Apparently spiders don't like the smell. 

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

boot.jpg

We had the same problem with a number of white tail and huntsmen spiders turning up in and around our house - visiting from our gumtrees we suspect. We set off a few insect bombs - this was 8 weeks ago and we haven't seen so much as an ant inside since. They weren't overly expensive and we certainly think they did the job.
Alicia
Building a Reputation

How did you go @Kim? Did any of the tips help?

JoshRaf
Building a Reputation

Hi @Kim,

Try using some barrier spray around all of your doors leading outside and windows. These come in an easy to use trigger pack and can last for almost a year.

As the weather is cooling down and gettign a lot wetter, now would be a perfect time to use this as more spiders will try and seek shelter.

Here is what we use:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/defender-3l-home-defense-barrier-spray_p3010169

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects