Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fill in a hole in double brick walls? Used to be a plug socket.

Quoth
Just Starting Out

How do I fill in a hole in double brick walls? Used to be a plug socket.

Hi all,

Very excited about some upcoming renovations. We've discovered an invisible leak and it's finally given us the push we needed to replace the entire kitchen. We're going to be doing some demo work ourselves before all the tradesmen come in to put the new kitchen in and there's going to be a couple of changes to the location of electrical sockets and the like while we're there.

The question I have is removing the electrical socket is likely to leave a bit of a hole in the wall which I don't want left open. We're also getting the pipes moved out of the wall and getting a flick mixer installed, so same scenario. They won't be huge holes but I don't think putty alone will do the job.

Can anyone provide any advice? Do you recommend some of this expanding foam filler?

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: How do I fill in a hole in double brick walls? Used to be a plug socket.

Something like Polyfilla Exterior Masonary Poly which is designed for this purpose would work for smaller holes. It can be painted over to match colouring. Available at Bunnings.   JDE

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fill in a hole in double brick walls? Used to be a plug socket.

Hi @Quoth,

I'd just like to welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It's wonderful to see you've received a helpful reply from @JDE and I'd agree that Polyfilla 500g Exterior Masonry Poly would be a suitable product to use. Expanding foam could be used for that purpose but it is more designed to fill larger voids.

Will you be painting over these filled areas in the bricks or is there plasterboard fitted?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects