Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I replace the laminate front of kitchen bench?

Tommmo
Just Starting Out

How can I replace the laminate front of kitchen bench?

I have a vertical panel of woodgrain laminate at the front of our kitchen bench.  It is dark woodgrain - far too dark for the rest of the decor and I'd like to bond a new piece of light woodgrain over it.    No doors involved  - Sounds simple. but I can't  get Laminex or other sheet material anywhere near the size  -  1685 mm wide and 992mm high.  For some reason there doesn't seem to be a place that stocks laminate or veneer  anywhere near Caloundra Qld.     Laminex etc.  have their offices in Brisbane 100kn away and will only sell me a big sheet difficult to transport by car.   

Anyone have any suggestions?   Tried many cabinet makers but they don't seem to have offcuts.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I replace the laminate front of kitchen bench?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Tommmo. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I apologise for the delay in my reply.

After speaking with Laminex the easiest option would be for you to visit or call Bunnings Caloundra and special order the product you are interested in. Laminex will then deliver the product to Bunnings Caloundra and you can either pick it up from there or arrange delivery of the product to your home. There will be a delivery fee involved for that service.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions about this process.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Saw an article on Horizontal woodgrain being the latest trend for kitchens etc. and doing this relieves me of all the problems with the size not being compatible with laminate sheet size.   So a half sheet is on its way now and this minimises waste and makes the project worthwhile economically. Also found that laminate can be cut successfully with work scissors ($25 Bunnings)  and Sica  Spray Fix  allows some leeway when bonding rather than "instant permanent" of other brands . Takes the pressure off.   Good old internet eh?

Cheers

Tommmo

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Tommmo,

I'm glad to hear you managed to find a solution to acquiring your laminate.

It would also be great if you could take some before and after shots, I trust our community members would be interested in seeing your transformation.

Please let us know if you need any assistance with the installation. We're here to help

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects