Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Growing herbs indoors

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Growing herbs indoors

I thought I would give the HydroGarden a go over winter. It's a small all-in-one hydroponic growing kit with a built in lamp.

I popped basil seeds into one container and corriander into the other a couple of weeks ago and they are just starting to sprout. 

It's all very easy to set up and use.

But one improvement in the kit I would like to see is that it has a built in timer for shutting off each night but you still have to remember to turn it on each morning. I would have liked fully automatic operation, particularly for when you go away. I've already forgotten to put it on a couple of times. 

IMG_2257.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Growing herbs indoors

Thanks for sharing @Isobel.

@bergs - This might be a way to get your chilli plants going well before the spring. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Progress shot. Corriander going well but not much growth yet from the basil.

growing.jpg

Hi, great results @Isobel

@JasonI have purchased two propagating boxes from Bunnings and a heat mat from Vasili's Garden Centre and I'm getting ready to sow some of my Spring seeds including Chillies. 

I have my garlic growing along with my broad beans, mint and there is plenty of self sown parsley coming up, but

I haven't done much in the garden lately because of the weather.

I seem to be feeling it more as I age:shocked:

Cheers @bergs :bigsmile:

Be happy and care for your tools
rivaalexandra
Just Starting Out

I thought this was a vintage telephone at first glance lol... but such a great way to grow herbs! Excellent idea!! 😉😀👌🧚‍♀️

Thanks for joining in the discussion @rivaalexandra and a big welcome to the Workshop community. We are looking forward to reading about your own projects and plans. Please post whenever you need a hand or have something to share.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

I think I am giving up on the basil. Corriander still going well though!

Plenty of coriander - almost ready for picking.Plenty of coriander - almost ready for picking.No pesto for me anytime soon.No pesto for me anytime soon.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects