Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Furniture surface Polish. Waxes or Synthetic

Fixit-Jim
Getting Established

Furniture surface Polish. Waxes or Synthetic

I have used Kiwi Marveer furniture polish for decades, that is now very hard to find anywhere in most retail outlets. Marveer contains Beeswax and Carnauba wax that is used on French Polish surfaces and Polyurethane varnish type surfaces. My question is that, will synthetic oil polishing compounds do the same lasting application job as Marveer type furniture polish has done over the decades in protecting the surface.

I have purchased Glitz furniture surface polish from Bunnings and does not contain their secrete ingredients information to compare with. This product does say it is anti dust and good for glass and plastic surfaces and have applied this product to Feast Watson varnish that I have applied to a wooden crystal cabinet for the final finish.

IMG_0696.JPG

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Furniture surface Polish. Waxes or Synthetic

The spray sounds a lot like a Mr Shen clone.

A better choice may be

Gilly Stephenson’s Cabinet Makers Wax is a traditional polish made with bees wax and carnauba wax.

Colourless, Gilly Stephenson’s Cabinet Makers Wax adds sheen to wooden surfaces and is excellent for filling small holes, defects and hairline cracks.

Excellent on jarrah, oak and other woods that have no specific finish
Hard finish - fills small holes, cracks and defects in wood
Adds sheen to wooden surfaces

Wax

More choices at

Wood care

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Workshop @Fixit-Jim. Great to have you as part of the community. I hope you find plenty of useful information and advice from our community members, and have plenty of fun. 

You might be interested in this post from one of our resident woodworkers @Wayne - Make some home made furniture wax.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

@AndrewJones might be able to help with this one. He makes some stunning furniture pieces. 

My go to finish is 3 coats of danish oil with a light sand between coats. Easy to apply, is fairly stain resistant and has a nice sheen.
Maker, youtuber and woodworker. Watch me work wood in 24 frames per second: https://www.youtube.com/user/andii1701/videos

Thanks for sharing @AndrewJones. I'm sure @Fixit-Jim will appreciate the suggestion. 

What are you working on at the moment?

Jason

Wooden wallet, lol. Will have photos soon.

Maker, youtuber and woodworker. Watch me work wood in 24 frames per second: https://www.youtube.com/user/andii1701/videos

Cabinet is finished and gone to its new home. For finishing touch I used Kitten polish cutting compound the a couple of coats of Glitz furniture surface polish. Why did I do this, well when dealing with plastic varnishes like polyurethane is basically the same as the auto paint on your cars these days. Like hand wet rub back on paint surface up to 1000 grit then it is just as easy to use cutting compound that includes polish. Then just for that showroom gleam then some spray on polish and rub your heart out. French polishing is nice to do but the surface just hates that hot cup of coffer or tea placed on its surface. The other is that someone will place a beer on the surface or a vase of flowers and spills the lot over that nice French polish. I note about the waxing and oiling of wood is good too although that is something that needs to be done time and again through out its life span.

What have I been doing lately is gardening nothing but pulling out weeds and planting summer flowers and my roses are tops this year. Good haul of spuds and onions although the latter nearly bolted to seed. Chopped off the seeds stalks and fatten the onion bulbs up with a good drink of water and now harvesting those onions.

Next project is whatever comes next.

Many thanks for the update @Fixit-Jim.

You might like to show off your roses by sharing some pictures with the community. 

Looking forward to reading about your next project.

Jason

respect.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects