Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fly screens

Rogerk
Finding My Feet

Fly screens

The 25mm aluminium flyscreen frame material that Bunnings sell has a width of 11mm. (The side that goes in the channel around the window). The channel is 11mm wide on the ouside mesurements. The inside has a ridge making it approx 10.5 mm wide. So the flyscreen width is too wide and won't fit. Is there a tool to adjust the frame aluminium down approx .5 mm. I have given it a small tap with a rubber mallet and this makes it fit. Not the ideal solution..any Ideas..thank you.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Fly screens

Hi @Rogerk,

Just to clarify, you are saying that your flyscreen frames don't fit in your window frames? I was going to suggest you check out the how to replace flyscreen mesh tutorial on the Bunnings website but I don't think that will help. Can I ask why you don't think the tap with the rubber mallet is the ideal solution?

Welcome to the Workshop community. I'm sure you'll find we have loads of helpful members sharing their knowledge and inspiring projects every day. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jason,

I went to Bunnings this morning and measured some of the aluminium frame they had in store (Australind. W.A.) The plain aluminium width is 10.45mm and the color bond (Powder coated) is 11mm. Came home and measured the channel once again and its 10mm. So the plain aluminium is the closest. Note that the original flyscreen is only 10mm (measured on other windows).

When I say tap with a rubber mallet, I'm actually tapping down from 11mm to 10mm to make it fit in the channel around the window. It bends the alumininium, and I don't see this as being an ideal solution. Thanks for your reply

Baggs
Having an Impact

Hi Rogerk,

there are 2 ways you could go. you can make a wedge from a bit of timber and used that with a hammer to bend the window frame out to make the 11mm flyscreen frame fit.

the second is go to a window manifacture and get them to either make you new fryscreens out of 9mm metal or get them to order in the 9mm metal and you make them yourself. the 9mm flyscreen section can be a bit pricey though.

hope that helps.

cheers

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing some advice @Baggs. I'm sure @Rogerk appreciates it.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. It sounds like you've got some great experience and knowledge to share. I trust you will also get plenty of information, advice and inspiration from other Workshop members. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand with anything or have something new to share. 

Jason

Thanks Baggs, Have ordered 9mm flyscreen material from a flyscreen manufacturer. Cheers!

Baggs
Having an Impact

no worries. glad i could help

RWBowden
Just Starting Out

Hi,

went to buy fly screen framing at Bunnings and every 2.5mtr length reguardless of colour is bowed.

Is this a manufacturing fault and can it be fixed.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RWBowden. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

I'll reach out via PM to grab some details on the store's location, and I'll enquire with the store and our supplier about the bowed stock.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RWBowden,

You'll be pleased to know that the curve is designed into the product to help achieve a more rigid frame preventing mesh distortion. Once the corner pieces are inserted, the sides joined, and the mesh installed, the bow will straighten out. You'll notice the reference to this in our product's description for the Pillar 25mm x 2.5m White Flyscreen Frame. "Flyscreen frame comes with a natural manufacturing curve to counteract the tension when mesh is installed into a constructed frame."

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects