Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

First door handle install

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

First door handle install

I was cleaning my front door handle and deadlock the other night (came up quite well just with elbow grease) When i realised how annoying it was not to be able to shut the front door here without using a deadlock key (for windy days just running out to grab the newspaper or whatever)

Thought it might be a good time to try my first door handle install

It was alot easier to do than I thought it would be (thank god) as most things seem to be once you try to do them i guess (fear of the unknown makes alot of stuff seem "too hard" till you actually try it I reckon)

54mm hole saw, 25mm spade bit, a pencil, a ruler, a phillips head screwdriver, a hammer and small chisel (for my particular door handle anyway)

I was expecting lots of drama like maybe shutting the door and suddenly the handle not working or somthing - But I just took things slow and steady (took me about half a hour between reading instructions multiple times and measuring thrice and cutting once in my case lol) and in the end it all went together with zero drama and worked straight away :smile: 

The particular door handle my wife bought came with a piece of paper which you can stickytape to the door and had all the measurements drawn on ready to go (i triple checked the paper just incase I messed up the paper placement or somthing)

Anybody thinking of trying their first door handle install - I reckon definatly give it a go! its probably alot easier than you think it will be :smile: (maybe be a bit more careful than i was with the chiselwork though hahahah)

drill door handle and latch holesdrill door handle and latch holeschisel out a spot for the latch plate to sit flush against the doorchisel out a spot for the latch plate to sit flush against the doordont use a cordless drill - do them up by hand - so says the instructionsdont use a cordless drill - do them up by hand - so says the instructionsAlot easier than i anticipated :)Alot easier than i anticipated :smile:elbow grease+dishwashing scourerelbow grease+dishwashing scourerNice and shiny, we arnt installing it again though so I will have to bog some holes in the door before painting or replacing the door eventuallyNice and shiny, we arnt installing it again though so I will have to bog some holes in the door before painting or replacing the door eventually

TheSaltyreefer
Becoming a Leader

Re: First door handle install

its always fun when you get the first one away :smile:
I sell these things everyday, and once they have a crack at them, they are ready to go
looks good mate

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects