Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Double glazing – worth the extra money?

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

Double glazing – worth the extra money?

window.pngHi everyone,

Looking forward to lots of discussions on this site.

We are in the planning stages of our reno and considering double glazing for windows and bi-fold doors. We are planning to have a particularly large set of bi-folds out to a deck overlooking the backyard. But we’re not doing the whole house so not sure it is worth the expense if we don’t replace every window and door in the place. I suspect the heat will just escape out the old windows… Has anyone got experience with double glazing?

Thanks heaps, Vicky

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Double glazing – worth the extra money?

Welcome to Workshop Vicky (@RenoQueen).

This is a good topic and I will be keen to hear what more knowledgable community members can offer. 

We went double glazed when we renovated the back end of our late 50s house and it’s hard to know what difference it has made. All I can say is that the new section of the house does seem better insulated and cosier than the old section at the front. I doubt the extra expense was worth it in terms of energy savings but it was probably the right thing to do. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
John1
Having an Impact

Mate of mine in Victoria used double glazed windows in his upstairs reno and also fibreglass bats in the walls. No noise at all. He did this mainly as he fronted a busy

road in Springvale. An added bonus was cool in summer warm in winter without any hefty power bills.

If you are only putting in double glazed windows. Toss a coin. In our place we put roller shutters on the windows instead.    

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@John1

This is a true story, cross me heart.

I was part of a group 6 trainees, sent interstate during our training program to see how things are done elsewhere. While in NSW, the driver of the shuttle coach seemed obliged to give us a running commentary of the local splendours, & while dashing along on a very grand new highway, pointed out that to the left, was a continuous wall that ran the full length of the highway, which was a stipulation of noise abatement policy.

I couldn't help myself, & asked, “couldn't the motorists just wind up their windows? : P

JDE
Becoming a Leader

I know this is an old thread but for people who look at in the future. I have built with both normal and double glaze in Tamworth and would never go back. Warmer in winter cooler in summer less noise lower power bills and no condensation or mold on windows in winter. In this type of climate hot summer freezing winter if you intend to stay a while I recommend it if you can afford it. Power costs are only going to go up. In a more moderate or coastal setting I probably wouldn't bother.
James
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I think this will also be a popular topic James (@JDE), so many thanks for adding your experiences. Much appreciated. 

Jason

Knut
Just Starting Out

Have renovated a 50 year old farmhous in 3 stages. First stage double glazing and insulation in walls in part of the house. Much better indoor climate in that part of the house than in the rest. Next stage more double glazing and insulation, now also in the floors. That gave a big lift for the winter time, and some better in summer. Third rebuild of a granny flat with full insulation and double glazing - the best part of the house!

We've been using double glazing in England for over 20 years, probably more and would never have dreamed of using anything less.
When we built over here and were spoken to like double glazing and grade 5 insulation bats were something new and i thought, pull your head out the clouds mate.
Insulation will keep hot and cold in/out when and where you want it and the same for sound. Keep your noisy neighbors out and your noisy kids and cheesy Saturday night music In.
The durability of them if well worth it in the long run also. But everything comes with a cost and every penny counts when building. But some extra pennies spent in the right areas at the start save a lot more later down the line.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for sharing your experiences @Knut. I'm sure our community members appreciate the input. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's great to have you join us. I trust you will receive lots of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects. Please post whenever you need a hand or have anything to share.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects