Workshop
Ask a question

How to replace door knobs?

JRRed
Building a Reputation

How to replace door knobs?

Hi,

Recently I had all my internal doors painted white.  They were previously painted in classic cream.

All my door knobs are brass and cream and I wish to replace them with chrome levers.

Interestingly, when you go to Bunnings the row is labelled "Door Knobs" but if you try to do a search on the website there is "0" items available with this label.

My question is... how do I know what I need?  I want to replace all the passage sets and all the knobs on the cupboards.  I have looked at Gainsborough, Delf, Lemaar, Lane. Some of them, but not all seem not to include the latch and striker plate.  Is that right?  At $70.00 each you would think they would even include the kitchen sink.  Especially when the whole lot will add up to $1000.00 

Also, what's the difference between "Bright chrome" and "Chrome plate" and "Polished chrome"?  I would like to have a lever with a square backplate and a fairly square lever.

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

door knob.jpg

door lever.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Door knobs

Hi @JRRed,

Many thanks for your questions, I'd be happy to assist. Internal door lever sets come in passage, privacy and dummy functionality. Passage sets are for common doorways like bedrooms and privacy are for bathrooms and spaces that require a locking feature. Dummy sets are for doors that do not use these type of latching mechanism and are often found on cupboards where ball catches are utilised.

Generally, there are a few types of chrome finish- polished, brushed and standard chrome. Brushed has a fine abrasion to the surface giving it a dulled appearance, polished is an almost mirror effect and standard chrome is unfinished. Each manufacturer will have a slightly different finishing process and the final effect with reflect that. You might find when looking at finishes that they do not reflect the same thing in each brand.

Bright chrome and polished chrome are different terms for a finished highly buffed shiny chrome. Chrome plate would refer to just chrome with no specific finish. 

If there is a particular manufacturer you had selected I can go into further detail about their specific chrome finishes.

Please let me know if you needed further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitch,

I live in an old Victorian house (built 1920's) the porcelain door knobs (passage type) are difficult for my old age parents to use. I'm looking to convert them to lever type. I measured the door thickness and 2 out of 3 doors I look to replace were found to be 35mm and one 30mm. Not knowing much I bought 35mm thickness ikonic passage levers. Which I found not fitting to any door even 35mm. Even though it says it fits 35-55mm. 

What choices do I have pls? as I found very difficult to find any passage lever type (polished chrome colour) door handles browsing bunnings online catalogue, some doesn't even specify which door thickness it supports.

Kind regards,

Pes 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @pes

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion. 

In order for me to provide you with alternate solutions, would it be possible for you to post a photo and the model number of the door set you purchased? We can then determine the proper steps that need to be taken to install the set on a 35mm door. 

The common method of adjusting the gap on the lever set is by adjusting the mounting plate on one side of the set. The plate is usually mounted on a threaded path allowing you to turn the plate and reduce the distance between the handles. I suggest checking the assembly to see if it has that type of adjustment.

Eric

pes
Finding My Feet

304937116_645845233450442_2029772384202548659_n.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thank you for sending over the photo @pes, this will be very helpful when @EricL is back online this afternoon to give assistance with installing them on your freshly painted doors. If you have any other DIY or garden questions please feel free to post a new discussion so we can further assist you. 

Katie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pes

My apologies for the late reply. Thank you for posting photos of your lever set. I've gone to the store and checked the Ikonic Brushed Nickel Isabella Lever Passage Set and it is set to fit a 35mm door with no adjustments necessary. If your door was thicker say 40mm or 45mm the passage set would self-adjust and you simply put the holding screws into place. It sounds like you've tried to install one of the passage sets can you please post a photo of the set installed on the door? 

Unfortunately, this set will not work on a 30mm door and your option for this is to put in a thin timber panel to make the door thicker. Being an older door the mounting points on the door might not line up with your new fittings and adjustments will have to be made. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to install a door handle

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects