Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you allow shoes in the house?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you allow shoes in the house?

We don't have a strict "take your shoes off before you enter the house" policy at our place, but we rarely wear shoes indoors.

It's a particularly sensible policy at this time of year to help keep the floors clean, although it does tend to result in this kind of look at the front door:

pile-of-shoes.jpg

Do you allow family members and visitors to wear shoes in your house? 

And where do you store your shoes?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Do you allow shoes in the house?

At home & inside at this time of year, I'm unashamedly an Ugg Boots wearer. I'm allowed to wear my safety boots inside, provided I check for dog poops, mud & leaves before entering.

We're nonjudgmental about what our guests wear, but Tania insists that I shower, shave, brush my teeth, hair, & the toilet bowl.

@Jason I'm not sure why anyone would have a no shoe policy unless they're Japanese traditionalists, but for this time of year, I'd suggest something like these for your guests:

http://aussiesockshop.com.au/heat-holders/heat-holders-original-thermal-slipper-sock-black.html

Make sure that you have a supply for visitors, & that they're talced up, as there's the possibility of embarrassing a guest who may have a foot odour problem.

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

It's just common sense to remove outdoor shoes when you come inside. It's much more comfortable too. At my house we certainly don't ask visitors to take their shoes off but we certainly do. I have worn through my ugg boots - they get plenty of wear. 

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@greygardener, thumbs up from me that you wear Uggs, but I'm confused about when your guests come over, they're free to wear the footwear that they arrived in, yet you choose not to wear shoes in their company. : S

John1
Having an Impact

farm.jpgWe have tiles through our house and therefore no probs with a little grey dirt. My gumboots are put on and taken off in the garage as is Pam's. We also take any shoes of that have red mud on them as we live in the Redlands named after the colour of our earth as it is red. 

Visitors should have enough sense to judge for themselves. This photo is of a typical farm in the Redland Bay district of Queensland.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@John1 & others, I was joking about wearing my safety bots inside, I too put them on & take them off in the garage. In fact I can't wait to take them off, my steel toed safeties aren't made for comfort, & it's relief to get them off.

Having said that, I have been caught out for not checking my Ugg soles when I come in from playing with the boys, or whatever, but that's just me being a scatter brain.

Tania reminded me about a guest who made himself comfortable by taking off his boots, & they/or his feet/or both, were ripe. Didn't bother me, I'm blessed with a poor sense of smell. ; )

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects