Workshop
Ask a question

How to build a loft

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

How to build a loft

Lofts as an after thought can be expensive and difficult to install

So I've included  a simple lightweight steel (Cold Formed Section) staircase that the average DIYer should find relatively simple & cost effective to knock up with a basic tool set

If you played with a mecanno set as a child :grin: then this is for you

https://dovedaler.com/2012/08/16/workbench-news/

A few points to consider 

• Purlin spans are for illustration purposes only
  • All floor loft spans  to be checked by engineer
  • Stairs suitable for 1.50 KPa Live loads
  • Planning and Building applications are applicable check with your council
  • etc,etcLoft Stairs.jpg

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: Reply ... Re: DIY Stairs for a Loft

@Andy_Mann Hmmm.I try to see the good in all deeds,  professions, advice,etc,etc..but unfortunately sometimes those that involve referrals, commissions, kickbacks,etc
the doubt but lingers (and it shouldn't ?)

If you have a vested interest then there should be disclosure.

@BibbyKat To complete the Stairs add Mdf Risers and Treads and Plasterboard to the walls Cheers

CFS StairsEngineeringA.jpg

Reply 25.11.16 ... DIY Stairs for a Loft

Thank you .. That diagram/stair is exactly how I was picturing it!  All my plans will be thought of and tossed around .. and nothing is being "started" till next year .. depending, of course, on finances/costings/quotes.. (that nastly little topic always rears its ugly little head) !!:tear:

I am feeling a little confused here.    I think someone was just being a kind human being and very nice to an older lady to what she could expect if she made a studio/loft for herself.  I don't think there is an ulterior motive.  I did not take it that way.

Am I confused here ???

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@BibbyKat there is no need for confusion and the Sketches & Data are there for you to enjoy and use :-).

Thank you BIM_Engineer .. I took it as such and it is gratefully received and accepted!. As you are in Western Oz and I am on the East Coast of Oz .. you could not be involved. However, if things were different ... who knows. Anyway, at this stage all is on hold. I thank you for your kind heart and willingness to help me out.
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@BibbyKat its my pleasure :smile:
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

DIY Placement of a Loft within a Roof Space

Continuing on the DIY Loft series

I have taken a step back to where the loft would be ideally placed within the roof space

A few points to consider when deciding on a location

• Locate the loft centrally within the roof so as to create the greatest head space within
  • With modern Australian homes in most cases this generally configures adjacent to the Family, Meals Kitchen locations
  • Stairs to access the loft can be placed along internal walls
  • Try minimising the amount of structural members that need to be modified that lie within the loft area, ie Collars ties, Struts,etc
  • Loft without windows are considered storage lofts
  • Loft with windows may have overlooking issues you will need to check with your council planning Dept.
  • The roof frame and loft space presented is for illustration purposes only  Timber sizes to be checked with relevant standards

Images are for Complete & Exploded views

Hope you find then useful

Loft Placemnt.jpg

Re: DIY Placement of a Loft within a Roof Space

Thanks for sharing @BIM_Engineer.

In your experience, do most Australian homes have sufficient head space in the roof for a loft?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: DIY Placement of a Loft within a Roof Space

@Jason I get asked about lofts all the time.. happy to share
Most Australian homes are configured to the above rear plan layout
In the above the loft space is basically governed by roof type (trusses excluded), pitch (25 deg+), and block width 15m+.

I should also mention these are  gross dimensions, deductions will need to be made for floor depth which is function of clear span (Roof Clearance Height- floor depth= actual loft height).You will notice when having the floor beams/joists over internal walls (ie passages) below lessens the span and the depth of the floor beams/joists

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects