Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. plywood Christmas tree

sburatto
Growing in Experience

D.I.Y. plywood Christmas tree

tree.png

Long story short, I live in a 1950's built semi-ditatched home. Brick everything and to be honest its all pretty dated, but hey we are working on it. My partner has an eye for decor and is always seeing things she likes\wants (I blame pinterest and instagram). The other day she found a timbe christmas tree online so along came the email stating she wanted on... the price tag... $600... :puzzled: On inspecting the item it didnt look like much more than a few plywood lengths and some holes, so i tole her we could make it... So we did!

I bought $50 worth of ply wood and this was our result, sorry I dont have step by step I never intended to post anything on it. Either way the result was good and it sved me $550! :smile:

2015-12-05 21.22.21.jpg

2015-12-05 18.32.04.jpg

(Thats my foredog Basil, hard to find good QA)

2015-12-05 18.45.02.jpg

2015-12-05 21.43.55.jpg

2015-12-06 17.26.34.png

2015-12-06 21.02.56.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Buy it or Build it

A very warm welcome to Workshop @sburatto.

Great job with the Christmas tree. Many thanks for sharing.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your projects.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Looks great! Bit of a Nordic look and feel to it :smile: Thanks for showing the various stages of completion. Curious to know how stable it is, and would it withstand a couple of mischeif cats once they decorations go up? Ha 

sburatto
Growing in Experience

Well its interesting you say that.... when we first put it all together it wasnt straight not was it that rigid. A few more specifics on how it finally went together might help...

The ply is 18mm thick.

Logest length (branch) is 90cm long, shortest is 5cm.

Base plates (x3) are 25cm sqaure.

A single 10mm metal rod is in the middle, lock nut\washer on the bottom base plate, another nut and washer on the top base so they lock together tightly. Felft feet on the bottom to stop any scratching of floor boards. The top little triangle has another nut glued into it and a washer to clap it all down tightly. 

It has survived my 2x 9month old boxer puppies for a few days but they havent been left unattatened with it for too long but with cats... who knows! :cheeky:

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

I always prefer building things, for the sense of pride and enjoyment and it's always an added bonus when you save a dollar or two

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Anyone building their own Christmas tree this festive season?

Jason

Caron
Making a Splash

Re: D.I.Y. plywood Christmas tree

That’s brilliant - a mini version with fairy lights would look fabulous as well! Thx for the inspiration! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: D.I.Y. plywood Christmas tree

What a fantastic project that looks very achievable for most of our members this holiday season @sburatto. There's also another very simplistic design which we've put together, and our members should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to make a timber Christmas tree.

I'd be really keen to see and hear about any D.I.Y. Chrissy trees our members are making this year.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects