Workshop
Ask a question

How to choose and fix new door trim on concrete?

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

How to choose and fix new door trim on concrete?

Current trim doesn't cover the floating floor and it is on concrete which is outside anything  I have tackled before ( I have used the nail through into wood at home before ) What trim do I choose for them and how do I fix it to the concrete?

92688136_10219553472821522_2390403107021389824_n[1].jpg92217379_10219553472901524_6371112795638857728_n[1].jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Choosing and fixing new door trim on concrete

No worries @Brad.

Let me tag a few helpful members who might have some thoughts for you about how they would tackle this one.

@ProjectPete@gippslandhome@PJA@TheSaltyreefer@Mathy 

Hope that helps kick things off.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Brad - bit hard to tell (at least for my tired eyes this morn). Is it vinyl or laminate flooring? Is it finishing above the existing trim or level?

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Looks like laminate to me. Old trim is flush with the original floor and there has been a foam strip put onto the laminate to seal the gap as the floor is now not all that flat and I am not fixing that for them. 

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Is the white/grey stuff on the flooring the foam or damaged flooring?

I'd remove the existing trim and buy a new one (the uni trim that's in is the right one for the application). I'd the fill/level the area with some construction grout and install the new trim with floor plugs. Then paint the remaining exposed grout to match surrounding area.

Depending how much room you have to play with you could just fix the new trim to the concrete with silicone. When using silicone to fix these trims, you should only silicone it to the concrete/adjoining floor so the "floating" floor is still able to "float"/move as it naturally needs to. Fixing the trim to both floors will limit/prevent natural movement and cause the boards to bow.

Hope this helps.

----------
Handy and helpful
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"Current trim doesn't cover the floating floor"

Hi Brad.

This probably doesn't help, but...

There is a laminate trim product that attaches to the floating floor and then you whack (gently) the trim profile into place.

I forget the exact cross-section profile - but something like the drawing. From memory there were three sizes to pick from based on the floating floor thickness.

Prior to this run a bead of glue to 'attach' the floating floor edge to the concrete?

Universal floating floor trimUniversal floating floor trim

Something like this...Something like this...

This trim could work too however you mustn't glue the flooring to the concrete for the same reason I described above - it needs to "float" or it'll bow/pull apart, etc.

----------
Handy and helpful

Apologies Pete.

I have completely missed your post above mine. :unhappy:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects