Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bushfires - are Workshop Members OK?

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Bushfires - are Workshop Members OK?

Hi, we don’t have a “General” section, but I’m wondering if we have any members impacted by the Bushfires, cheers Deb

Walter

Re: Bushfires - are Workshop Members OK?

Hey @Mathy (Deb) ,

I'm affected more by the smoke, which affects my breathing. Lately it's been bad locally, and a lot of my senior age students/customers have been affected also.

I've been recommending people go here and download the app for their various phones. At least they are keeping informed.

I'm luckier than most, but I'm keeping the birdbaths and saucers filled for the wildlife - the local lizards are coming because the ground is so dry, and the birds and bats have been dropping over.

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Walter - with the bats, I saw in Melbourne they were misting the ones that were living (roosting? I know zilch about bats) in their trees (Botanic Gdns maybe). Only mentioning because in Adelaide we’ve had a catastrophic loss of bats during that horrendous heatwave - Mums abandoning their babies. If you have the water, and they’re nearby, might be helpful? 

I’m in Adelaide, my smoke experience is limited to what’s coming across the water from KI - which is bad, and my car is covered in ash, but not as awful as what others are having to deal with. Look after yourself, cheers Deb :smile:

Hey Deb,

My eldest son is a "Bat Wrangler" for WIRES.

It's unusual for bats to come down to drink, but in rare heatwave conditions they will sometimes, as long as it's safe. He tell me that  last year an enormous number of flying foxes died from heat.

We put down some cut fruit , and I've put some on the shed roof and hung some from branches also. 

Take a coat hanger, break it open, and string fruit along it, put it  securely high up in the tree where that bats will find it in their own time.

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/wildlife/2019/09/community-unites-to-provide-apple-ke...

NOTE: do not handle bats, if you get scratched or bitten and you are not vaccinated, you WILL end up in hospital.  If you find a bat struggling or on the ground, call WIRES.  https://www.wires.org.au/

They've been taken overnight so I assume that some bird, bat or other wildlife is appreciating it.

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

@Walter - great work! I’m lucky, I live on the lake at West Lakes, so my good deeds are mostly putting water and food out for birds - “Bat Wrangler” is a great title 😂 

gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Mathy

And hi @Jason 

Why don't we set up a bushfire fund for those affected , where all those in the community members can if they wish contribute to helping people rebuild there homes.

I don't know if this has been done before in this community Jason but if we can do it it would be a great help for those affect and a feeling of unity to the community here.

Kind regards Rob 👍😁

Thanks for your input @gippslandhome.

At this stage I would simply encourage all Workshop members to give generously to the Red Cross Disaster Relief appeal. Members are also very welcome on that discussion to nominate other organisations doing superb work who are worthy of support in this time of great need. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Jason  thank you for sharing that. it's great if we could all donate even a small amount

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects