Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building my first home

maknilsin
Making a Splash

Building my first home

I recently purchased a house and land package for my first home. I'm finding the whole process to be a daunting but enjoyable experience so far. 

Has anyone had any experience building their home? Hopefully your experience was problem free, but horror stories are definetely welcome! 

Re: Building my first home

Oh and I should probably mention that even though the wait has been excruciatingly long (it's been exactly a year since I put my deposit down), Porter Davis have been absolutely fantastic the entire time, answering and all of my queries which has made the wait far less stressful.
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@maknilsin, I'm really excited, & for you too.

Before our build got started, we were told that a Uni student had approached our builder asking if she could follow the build as part of her assignment thingie. We were happy to let her do it, as I was doing a lot of country work (so not home much) over that period, & were looking forward to seeing her finished project. Thing was, she gave up on it part way through, & didn't let us know, so consequently we have no progress pics. :unhappy:

Dad knew a builder from his working days, & he put us onto him, he wasn't high profile or flashy, but he had a good solid reputation, & had been around for a long time. Any bumps that came up got sorted without us being hassled, & things just got done. '75 when we built was at the height inflation, material shortages & work outages, but our build process was a delight.

If you've done your homework, or lucked onto a good builder, your build should be an enjoyable experience too. :smile:

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@maknilsin, great news that you have a communicative builder & that they're showing their worth already, that's a very good sign, so I'm rapt for you. :bigsmile:

By the way, rain shouldn't be a problem for your foundation pour if the site's been prepared with drainage in mind.

All good mate.

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi maknilsin
Thanks for the up-date
From an Engineers perspective make sure the photos include the reinforcement arrangement/placement before the concrete is poured,
Remember once it's placed repairs can be very expensive or impossible thereafter.
I can't tell you how many times I've inspected concrete reinforcement only to find the re-entrant bars weren't supplied or incorrectly tied/placed and I've had to run down to bunnings to get a few extra length.
Thus eliminating "o woe is me" future potentual floor tile cracking

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@BIM_Engineer, thanks for you expertise, & I extend to you, a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. :smile:

If I may, could I ask if you could help another Workshopper?

In the "Worst DIY jobs you've had to do" thread, @Brad has a problematic internal wall that has cracking issues. I've gone as far as I can trying to help, but wonder if you may have more insight into what the cause might be.

Great advice @BIM_Engineer - I'll make sure that Porter Davis passes on the photos you suggested before they pour.

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hey Andy
Thanks for the welcome
I can't stress (excuse the pun..LOL bad joke for an engineer that does structural repairs) how important it is to use the correct Data,Information,Material, engineering..blah,blah blah. I think you get the gist.. always try to avoid potential problems as the repairs can cost 5-10 times the initial cost.

Hey Maknilsin
As long as someone responsible takes photos...and things are rectified before the pour..why?
1. Photos are proof of whats been done
2.These can be used as evidence should things go wrong at a later date
3. Photos should match the engineering & Construction details..if not why not?
4. Photos, Building Information Modelling (BIM), big data, simulations and the internet of things (IOT) are revolutionising the way we Design,Engineer Analyse and build ... more to follow

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Great advice that you've given @maknilsin, @BIM_Engineer, I've heard of contractors removing steel to save them a buck, or others helping themselves. :angry:  I hope it's not all that common, but photos sent to the engineer just prior to the pour would stomp on it, saving a lot of misery & expense down the track.

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

As I always say to the battlers and punters " No-one is going to look after your investment/interests more than you"

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects