Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom, laundry, kitchen refresh

RohanH
Building a Reputation

Bathroom, laundry, kitchen refresh

Plans.png

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some ideas for how to update a bathroom/laundry/kitchen space. I'm living in here at the moment but it may be rented out in the future when I move so I'm hoping to use durable/hard wearing components.

My aim is to update the area so it's visually appealing and functional, but ideally with minimal structural changes to reduce costs.

Floor plans:

Low-fi floorplanLow-fi floorplan

My thoughts so far have been:

1. ProjectPete style laundry benching along the side wall of the bathroom. Ie a wooden benchtop to cover the washing machine and enclose a sink, with subway tile splashback. I was thinking of omitting the upper cabinets to avoid cramping the room too much.  https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Bathroom-and-Laundry/My-laundry-reno/m-p/4618

2. Possibly knocking down the wall separating the toilet and vanity and re-orienting the toilet.  The toilet room is very small as it stands and you can't close the door if sitting on the toilet. 

3. Demolishing that corner cut out section where the stove is. As much as I want to minimise structural work, it takes up so much room in a small kitchen, and I'd like to add more benchspace, as well as a enclosure for the fridge, microwave and space for a dishwasher. I want to add an extra benchtop along the wall where the circular table currently is. possibly just with a bracket and no cabinetry underneath as a dining bench that faces the wall to provide a 'dining table' without taking up as much floor realestate.  Just not sure where best to put the fridge/ microwave/dishwasher. 

4. Floor - retile vs vinyl flooring vs just leave it? Not fussed as long as it looks good and is functional 

Budget: I'd like to keep it under 5k if possible, but know that might be tight if the above structural changes are involved..10k would be a definite upper limit 

Appreciate any input!

Cheers

Rohan

RohanH
Building a Reputation

Re: Refresh a bathroom / laundry/ kitchen zone

Update: Thanks so much to the Workshop community for all the ideas and planning assistance! Especially to @ProjectPete  and @redracer01 

Here are some before/after photos.

Kitchen/Living area:

IMG_8239.jpgIMG_8297.jpg

IMG_5330.jpgIMG_6000.jpg

Bathroom/Laundry Area:

IMG_8241.jpgIMG_8242.jpg

IMG_0225.jpgIMG_1307.jpgIMG_3360.jpgIMG_4606.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

It looks fantastic @RohanH. Congratulations to you. 

Many thanks for sharing the photos.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @RohanH,

Hope you are well and still enjoying your renovation. 

Your project has remained incredibly popular and is now approaching 100,000 views. 

I was wondering if you could come back and tell us how close to your original budget you were, what you learned along the way, and what you might have done differently had you had your time again. 

Many thanks, it would be great to get an update. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects