Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

selecting the correct steps

Trying
Making a Splash

selecting the correct steps

Hey people,I'm a spring chicken in my 70th year so please.....be gentle with me ??. I need to put new steps on my patio, wooden pre-cut sets at Bunnings look good but I don't know how to select the correct ones. What do I measure, what angle from the patio should they be,and what distance should be between each step? Also, how should the side supports be secured to the ground,if at all. Just learning the computer too so can't put up pictures yet. Sorry about that....and thanks in advance for any advice.

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Re: selecting the correct steps

This Calculator may help you, Trying

http://www.calculator.net/stair-calculator.html
Wood Working with Wayne
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Trying

Welcome aboard you 70th year spring chicken you, nice to have another senior to stick up for me. I'm racing towards my 66th year, & looking forward to it. : )

I'm not inferring that you have special needs, but ask your local council for advice, it may well earn you a custom made & fitted freebie, so it's worth the ask.

Our council is marvellous, they fit a purpose built step for my 94 year old Mother-in-Law, & it works a treat.

The only thing that I need to do now, is make the leading edge more visible, as they'd made it so discreet to blend in, that it's a possible tripping hazard for visitors.

All the very best

John

flash
Growing in Experience

It's interesting that your COUNCIL would supply those steps? That's usually left to the likes of service clubs like LIONs or APEX?? Which council are you referring to? Flash
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@flash

G'day Gordon & others

Sorry all, I got my wires crossed, the service that I mentioned can be found on this site:

http://www.seniorservicesguide.com.au/

It's council specific, but a government driven & subsidised program.

I hope this helps.

John

Hi people, thank you Wayne -the stair calculator was a revelation ! Thanks also to Andy, no luck with council,but never mind. Bunnings staff confirmed the steps I would need. After purchasing them, I couldn't fit them together due to ligament damage to my wrist. I have to say those Bunnings guys are so helpful; they had the steps sorted in no time!! They will be installed tomorrow so thank you all ! I'm loving this workshop !

Thank you Andy_Mann for the update-duly noted. By the way, don't be racing too fast towards your 66th year. It's around that time people say the wheels start to fall off. I don't know, but for me never mind the wheels-the whole damn undercarriage came loose!! Hope you keep those wheels spinning. Good Luck

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Trying

Nah, I love Birthdays, I was veeery lucky to make my 47th, so every day, & year is a bonus.

I used to ride a bike but I mostly walk now, so it's be great if in my 66th, you're right, & my spare tyre (which I've been trying off-load for years) falls off. : )

I love being around positive people, & you're positively wonderful. ; )

flash
Growing in Experience

Tomorrow 68. Don't wanna be 68 because if you are also a musician more than the wheels fall off; its "all over baby" time & I've been a muso 51 years this year.(Just check out the list of musicians who havedied in the past 12 months aged 68!) I too have been "lucky" having been run over twice, intensive care twice off motor bikes, nearly drowned twice & in fact "knocked on the door 11 times in total.69 would be fine just don't want to be 68. It's been a helluva ride & I've learnt quite a number of handyman skills along the journey. Hopefully I can get to share some of them on this site!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@flash

G'day Gordon, if you've been a muso for 51 years, then you've got it all over me. I battled learning guitar which went well, until I had to play bar chords. Even at the tender age of 15, I had knarly knuckles, & my guitar had shallow frets, needless to say, I wasn't born to be a guitarist.

Much later in life I tackled the keyboard, but the combination of my plod reading skills, & fingers like sweet potatoes, that didn't work out either. : (

Still, it gives me an immense appreciation of musicians that make it look so easy, & play with such fluidity & expressiveness.

Then there's the motor bike thing, oh how I'd love a motor bike. Nothing super street, just an L plater with style, like a Yammy Yamaha YZF-R3, or Kwaka Ninja 300 ABS. Wife won't approve, so it isn't going to happen.

So there you go, you've been a muso for 51 years, you've ridden motor bikes, it's your 68th Birthday tomorrow. The first 2 will never happen for me, & turning 68 will be great when/if it happens. ; )

Don't let statistics get you down, keep being a bad boy, & sing along with life.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects