Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

old pallets turned into trestle table and bench seats

Jojo69
Cultivating a Following

old pallets turned into trestle table and bench seats

Hi, i founds 4 really good pallets dumped on the side of the road. 

So far i have completed 2

1st one is a pallet trestle table it is 1.8mt long and bench seats are 1.5mt lo It was very heavy to work with however i am so inlove with the result. 

Second one was pRt of th4 and is 1 x 1 m with 2 600 bench seats. Suitable for inside or outside.

For both there was a lllooottttttt of sanding however very little fix up jobs needed. 

Both have 2 -3 coats of polyurethane and varnish if used outside. 

Trestle table is finished with a black stain, handmade trestle legs painted cream and black legs once again a black stain on the bench seats. 

Table has a walnut stain, polyurethane finish and varnish. Legs are 4x4 and painted white. 

I have not been able to start either of the other 2 however after how these have turned out im excited to stRt. 

EnjoyBefore trestle tableBefore trestle tableBefore square tableBefore square table20200612_101658.jpg20200612_101749.jpg20200612_101931.jpg20200612_101726.jpg20200609_094457.jpg20200609_094507.jpg20200609_094606.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: old pallets turned into trestle table and bench seats

Hi @Jojo69,

Many thanks for sharing your project. I really like the designs you've created there and the finishes are great. You've certainly been able to save a significant amount of decent lumber which you've turned into functional furniture.

What is your preferred method of deconstructing pallets? Do you have any special tools you use?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jojo69
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc , thanks. I love finding old pallets and recycled materials.  It alows you to start from scratch and use your imagination 😁

My preferred method of deconstructing pallets is bribing my older sons with food 😏 and they do it. 

I am a 50 year young grandmother however have a shoulder injury.

So using a hammer and separating them myself is very hard.

If they are not around i have found if i can separate the wood enough to get a saw blade inbetween the wood i use a reciprocating saw. I now have 2, 1 corded for home and battery one in my car, for those times you come across a pallet and it wont fit in the car 😀

Once separated i hammer the nails out, especially if i am doing my shou sugi ban.

Regards Jo

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You know what they say about great minds Jo (@Jojo69)...

You are most likely already aware, but for the benefit of others, I've found levering the boards is a simple method to fit the blade. I simply take a spare board and place it in-between two of the attached boards levering them up. It slightly loosens the pallet boards just enough to fit the blade in and slice the nails.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jojo69
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc

I have not tried that. What an amazing idea 👍 and hopefully wont split the wood. 

Jo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects