Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

how to install a balcony glass balustrade

longonly
Just Starting Out

how to install a balcony glass balustrade

how to install a balcony glass balustrade?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: how to install a balcony glass balustrade

Hi @longonly,

Welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join the community. I hope you find plenty of great ideas and advice here and look forward to hearing about your projects and plans.

I also hope that some community members can give you some help with your balcony project. The following D.I.Y. video from Bunnings might also be a starting point.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Hi @longonly,

Could you please tell us a bit more about what you want to do? Perhaps include some photos of your balcony? 

Avantgardeglass
Finding My Feet

Hi @longonly 
This post is a bit old but I thought maybe I should add this for anyone else browsing this thread.

The key things you need to consider are:
1. Do you need toprail? In NSW you are legally required to have toprail or hand rail for any balustrade that has a fall of over 1m
2. What sort of surface are you installing on?
If the surface is concrete, then you have the option to core drill your spigots in using core drill spigots. You will also need a 76mm core drill to make this work, along with a kwixset type grout.
If you are installing on decking, then you can use deck mount spigots which are easily installed using stainless steel bugles.

Balustrade glass is generally 1000mm or 970mm high depending on where you source the materials from. Basically the balustrade will need to be over 1m tall. I believe the panels at Bunnings are 970mm high. This is fine as the spigots are generally over 30mm above the ground level, thus the overall height of the glass will be greater than 1m.

Other than this, you have some options on the type of finish you are going for. The common types are Chrome/Polish, Brush/Satin or more recently the matte black type of hardware.

(C) Avant-Garde Glass(C) Avant-Garde Glass

**The usual disclaimer, this post is for information purposes only and not to be taken as specific advise for your job. Please research further the specific balustrade regulations for your location/project

Signature: DIY enthusiast and owner of Avant-Garde Glass. Happy to help with all diy glass projects

I am not sure if this is okay to post, so please feel free to remove it if so.
We've created a pretty comprehensive step by step guide to installing these if anyone is interested.
https://www.avantgardeglass.com.au/diy-glass-balustrade-installation-guide/

Signature: DIY enthusiast and owner of Avant-Garde Glass. Happy to help with all diy glass projects

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects