Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wood signs

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

Wood signs

WP_20170118_002.jpg

Hi all,

What do get someone who has 2 of everything.  Well our dear friends have decided to tie the knot and still have 2 of everything when they moved in together.  As I have made a few of these over the years, we thought it was a great personalized gift.

First off select a piece of timber suitable for job at hand.  For this piece I decided on a piece of Jarrah 120 x 19 x 1150.  Unfortunately I didn't have any offcuts available.  And by all means you can use old timber for that vintage look.

WP_20170115_001.jpg

Create the template on your computer with whatever font/text you like.

WP_20170115_002.jpg

Position the template and using carbon paper, trace the words onto the timber.

WP_20170115_004.jpg

Now the tricky part.  I used a small cove router bit for this one as I like the 3d effect the rounded edges give.  I also use a smaller router/trimmer as it gives me more control.

WP_20170115_005.jpg

With the bit set at about 4mm, carefully trim out the letters.

WP_20170115_008.jpg

Now with whatever colour you want (the choice is endless), paint the letters with at least 3 coats leaving drying time between coats.  Then sand with 180 grit sandpaper to get rid of any mistakes.  Coat with 3 coats of clear estapol gloss sanding with at least 240 grit inbetween coats.  I always use exterior grade but again, you could use any clear finish you have available.

WP_20170118_002.jpg

In this case, I have used purple as it is Simones favourite colour.  Tom doesn't get a say in the matter.

I have hung these by either drilling a couple of holes in the sign and screwing direct to wall, or putting screw in hooks on top and hanging by a nice chain/rope.

NOTE:  I have found that if using white as your letter colour, it will discolour due to the natural pigments in the clear coat.  Of course you could always apply another coat of white if you have steady hands.

Amount of coats is also dependent on the coverage.  I tend to use 3 of each.

Brighter/lighter colours work well with darker timber and darker colours work well with lighter timber.

Remember safety.  Routers are very dangerous machines if you are not used to them.  Use glasses, mask and earplugs.

Cheers'n'beers

Daryl

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Wood signs

Good to see you join in the discussion and make your first post @Bluhuaru. Welcome aboard! Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects