Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wood preserver?

dicky
Finding My Feet

Wood preserver?

Hi people

Has anyone got a suggestion for an inexpensive wood preserver for furniture and wood below ground. I often use half linseed and half turpentine. It works well but stays sticky  for a few days.

Thanks

dicky

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Wood preserver?

Hi @dicky,

Great to see you make your first post. Welcome to Workshop and thanks for joining in the discussion. I'm sure our clever and creative members will have plenty to contribute to this topic as well as many others in the future. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand. We're looking forward to reading all about your projects and plans. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

I think Bondall and Diggers both have an underground wood preserver that's about $20??? a ltr, I want to say??... Back in the day we used creosote and other poisonous stuff... I don't think you have an extra cheap, or DIY thing here that wouldn't be poisonous to some degree.
As you know, linseed doesn't last underground. I like Tung oil above ground, for non food applications outdoors. Usually a linseed girl for furniture. Recently bought some bondall exterior furniture spray, because it has added driers and uv protection, so doesn't stay sticky. Instant gratification! LOL
Be aware that tung oil can cause allergy sensitizing over time in some people. I don't put it on the tables and chairs and stuff that will be touched regularly. Was recently looking to use tung oil on a potting bench, but went over to the bondall because my shop was out of stock.
Can I ask if you use turpentine to aid penetration in the first coats? Or on subsequent applications as well? I've only ever done that on a first coat, but only on some woods. Just wondering...

Thanks Jan-Jan.

I’ll have a closer look at Bondall and diggers.

For subsequent coats I decrease the turpentine to about 25%.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects