Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What's up with my timber?

JRRed
Building a Reputation

What's up with my timber?

Hi,

I've previously posted about the upgrade I did for my  pool and the deck built above it.

Six months ago I had some treated pine stairs built from the  deck   down to the pool area. I painted them and now there is a glass balustrade at the side so I can get down safely.

My problem is with my stairs.  The sap keeps seeping out.  I keep scraping it back, but it still keeps appearing.  It doesn't look good with the paint scraped away and  would like to paint it again.

I didn't think this would happen with treated pine. 
Can you give me any ideas on how to stop this happening?  If I paint it again will it happen again?

ThanksFrom the deckFrom the deckFrom the pool area.From the pool area.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: What's up with my timber?

How long was it before you painted the timber @JRRed

JRRed
Building a Reputation

It was painted just after it  was completed.  It gets hot sun all day  in summer.

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@JRRed Did you purchase these from Bunnings?

If so, there were a few particularly "Sappy" batches which were identified by stores and the manufacturer.

Please contact the store you purchased from to discuss how to remedy the situation.

In the instances I was made aware of, the product was replaced.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

JRRed
Building a Reputation

Unfortunately, it was built by my son-in-law and he tends to take it personally.  I don't think he did buy this timber from Bunnings although the whole deck was made from ModWood bought from Bunnings.

I've totally scraped and sanded it back and given it two coats of Dulux WeatherShield and I've noticed it has now blistered again.

Is there a product I can buy that will prevent it bubbling again?

Thank you

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@JRRed I've just made contact for you with the suppliers of the Bunnings product, whom have dealt with this issue before.

They have advised when painting this product to use an Oil based primer and then two coats of Acrylic topcoat.

They specify this on our product page in the description section treated-pine-domestic-stair-tread

Take note of the picture illustrating the product and the lack of knots in it, as the failed products I have witnessed had multiple visible knots which bled the sap.

I'd advise sanding the paint back and applying the primer first, as the oil based product may block the sap.

Personally however I do not believe this will necessarily solve the issue, but are the correct steps as per the manufacturers directions.

"The stairs are made from H3 LOSP Treated Pine, suitable for above ground outdoor use. Timber is a naturally occurring material which can have variations in colour & texture.
Oil based treatment is recommended i.e. paint, stain"

Hope this helps.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects