Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best way to cook sausages?

Kim
Having an Impact

What is the best way to cook sausages?

I've seen the latest Workshop discussion on best method to cook steak.  Equally challenging is the best way to cook sausages on the bbq.  Now that the bbq is out at our place we've had a couple of sausage cooking disasters.

What's the best way to avoid the sausage skin splitting?  Grill or hotplate?  Lip down or up?  Rotation policy?
Barbecue.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What is the best way to cook sausages?

I cringe when I see people pricking their sausages @Kim. Why would you want to let all the juices out, drying out the meat and having the skins split? 

I prefer to cook sausages on the hotplate and am a frequent turner. I don't like overcooking them. 

I'm looking forward to seeing some tips from the Workshop community. @MoonshineBen - do you ever cook sausages?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Sausages are a bit of a staple for me.

The trick to not splitting them is two fold - quality sausages, and to cook on a lower heat.

When you go on fast on a screaming grill there is a higher chance they will split open. Use some oil on the plate to stop them sticking, and the medium heat and frequently turn.

Happiness is a full smoker - moonshinebbq.com.au

Grill or hotplate @MoonshineBen?

I've heard people saying that you should never use hotplates as then you're not barbecuing, you're frying... I do like the grill marks on my meat, but with snags it can be sometimes hard not to burn them on the grill. 

Hot plate for me - less flare from flames

Happiness is a full smoker - moonshinebbq.com.au

Here are the simulations and data
Pork Food cooking process variable parameters
BTW there is also an app that allows you to design/parameterize the ideal sausage

OT Chicken Patties here

Chicken patties cooking simulations

LOL...My favourite is cool beers in the esky down at the beach

Esky at the beach simulations app

While doing Designer sausages!

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

@KimI agree with moonshine ben wrt a medium heat on the plate, turning frequently.  I then finish off on the grill to give them a char finish.

G'day everyone,
My Snags hardly ever split. I don't prick.
we tend only to like the skinny ones. So method wise, I just bung them on the BBQ grill on the highest setting and give them a turn every time I sip my red wine. I find Cab Sav is the best, not that this has anything to do with the sausages.
I cook them to colour more than anything else. We both like our snags moist but not too moist. So I brown them all over sometimes a few black spots if I'm enjoying a too good a sip.
They will develop their own little slits and tears and the excess fat will run and cause some exciting flare-ups which all add to the colouring process.
For a quick and healthy meal toss a couple of frozen hash browns, (one each) on the hot plate set on full bore.
Turn them until browned on both sides.
Don't toss the snags on until the hash are almost done.
Chuck on an Egg each as you are taking the hash and snags off. (on the hot plate not grill).
Chek the Cab Sav; it will probably need refilling.

Kim
Having an Impact

Thanks all for the helpful advice. I'll be running some bbq experiments to test all feedback!
PJA
Having an Impact

Get a handful of Small franks, for your party, and cut them in half. cut a X in each of the middle sections; bung em on the BBQ. make great little stars / spiders / quatro pusses, whatever. Just a bit of a fun snack.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects