Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wasp nest on side of the house

Goldmember
Having an Impact

Wasp nest on side of the house

We've got some new friends at our place. Should we evict them or welcome them to the neighbourhood?

They're certainly not those horrible European wasps....

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Re: Wasp nest on side of the house

Do you think they are native paper wasps @Goldmember?

https://australianmuseum.net.au/learn/animals/insects/paper-wasps/

Beneficial to the garden but have a nasty sting if they feel threatened, so just be careful if its a high-traffic area. 

European wasps have nests underground, so you're right that they are not those pests. 

I vote to re-locate the tenants if there are children around. However if there are only adults I suggest to just be mindful that they are there. Maximum size of the nest might reach 120 to 150mm in diameter. Something for you to think about. However the wasps will hibernate when winter comes and that would be the best time to re-locate the entire nest and set it on a tree. I could be wrong any suggestions from our garden experts in the community?

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

I don't go past that spot too often but did this morning, forgot they were there, and got stung by two of them. It hurts. A lot. So I think they've got to go. Looks like evening is the best time to attack as they are more docile. I think I will just suit up and spray the nest. I don't want to kill them but they were really aggressive this morning so I don't think they can stay. 

Permanently evicted without incident. Sorry guys...

It was actually three stings (two were close together) and they are still red and itchy. Glad we dealt with the nest before it got bigger. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects