Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Very dead grass, will it come back?

Debsworld
Finding My Feet

Very dead grass, will it come back?

Good Morning, I live in the lower blue mountains, We laid new turf earlier this year in about April after we finished backyard renovations.
We have no trees in our yard but high trees in the house next door which limits us to morning sun and then shaded most of the afternoon.  The landscapers used Sir Walter turf.  We have 2 border collie dogs which love to run around and the pup digs of course.
Now that Winter is over the grass is all but dead! We have some green shoots coming up but most of the grass roots are dead and  loose and can be raked up easily. I am hopeful we can save it, but feeling despondent. 
I have read some of the posts here and will buy some Seasol today, I have put a fertiliser on recommended by a lady in bunnings but it has done little.

Thank you Kindly for any advice you have for me.

All browned out!

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Re: Very dead grass, will it come back?

Hi @Debsworld - not a Gardner, but I do know that turf is buffalo couch, which is pretty tough and hard to get rid of when you DON’T want it - which is my problem 😂 . It’s also just coming out of winter dormant season. So take heart, you can possibly save it. Hopefully @Jason will be around soon and can tag some garden experts to help out. I’m not familiar with who they are, so can’t do that. Cheers Deb :smile:

Make sure you don't have the dreaded African Black Beetle grub that eats the grass roots - dreadful things but can be treated if caught early enough.
If you already know of this then the following is superfluous but one way to determine if you have an infestation is to place a wet hessian bag (or similar) on a patch of the lawn overnight, in the morning pull it up and see if any of the grubs are on the surface. Birds scratching the lawn up is also a good sign - here is a video on what can be done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECKyIGZNLO0

Thank you. I will head to bunnings today, I can see some life but its barely.  Fingers crossed

Oh No! I never thought of that!
No Birds but they wouldn't have a chance with my dogs around.  Its just dirt really with the odd shoots of grass

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Debsworld,

Sorry to read of the state of your lawn. Perhaps share a photo if you can as it might help members share some more specific advice with you and/or diagnose the problem. Have you spoken to the landscapers who installed the turf?

One of our resident lawn care experts is @Adam_W. He might like to share some advice or tips with you when he gets a chance. I've found his tips on How to improve your lawn this Spring particularly helpful. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects