Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Trees irrigation

Jennet
Getting Established

Trees irrigation

Hi

I'm in a new build on small acreage.  The developer has laid large irrigation pipe (say 30ml) but I have not measured it.  How do I connect this to a tap?  I need the type of connections and a link maybe to see them would be appreciated.  Photo of end result would be awesome.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Trees irrigation

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jennet. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

If you can measure the exact size of the pipe I can find the products you'll need to connect it to the tap. Just to clarify, do you have a pre-existing tap that is already plumbed and you wish to connect this pipe to it and supply water through the pipe elsewhere? Or, do you wish to have water supplied by this pipe to a new location and install a tap there?

For ease of describing the process, I have selected 25mm pipe. 32mm pipe fittings are available but some will need to be special ordered for you into the store.

If you wish to connect this hose to a tap you would need to turn the horizontal pipe vertical with a Philmac 25mm Metric Poly Pipe Elbow and then connect a section of Vinidex Rural Plus 25mm x 1m Poly Pipe to raise it to the correct height. Once you have established the height where it is to connect to the tap you would use a Philmac 25mm x 1 Male Pipe End Connector to change the hose to a threaded section and a Philmac 1" BSP Threaded Pipe Socket to connect it to the 1" threaded portion on your tap.

If you were wanting to install a new tap at the end of the pipe, simply follow the previous direction until you have the pipe at the required height for the tap and then install a Philmac 25mm x 3/4" Poly Pipe Elbow With Wall Plate. This fitting will allow you to screw a new tap into it and then the wall plate can be fixed to a post or wall.

If the pipe does turn out to be 32mm, just take the details of the products I have suggested with you into a store and ask the special order team member if they can source the equivalent 32mm version for you.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jennet
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell!  I should have measured previously.  It is 19ml and a tap is in the perfect place to connect to.  I assume the tap is 12ml.  It looks like a standard household outdoor tap.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Jennet,

If the pipe is similar to Holman 19mm x 25m Black Poly Pipe and is just plain black, soft and somewhat flexible here are the products you'll need- A Pope 19mm Poly Barbed Elbow to turn the pipe vertical and two Pope 19mm Poly Ratchet Clamp's to attach it. A piece of Holman 19mm x 1m Poly Pipe to reach the tap and a Pope 19mm Snap Sure Connector so you can click it onto a standard Pope 12mm Universal Tap Adaptor.

If the pipe looks more like this Vinidex Rural Plus 19mm x 1m 3/4 Poly Pipe which has a thicker wall, coloured stripes and is rigid then you'll need other fittings.

You can tell the difference as the rural pipe, due to its thick wall, will be hard to squash with your fingers and has little flex to it. The Holman domestic version will be just straight black pipe, flexible and easy to squish with your fingers.

If you can take a picture of it I can most likely identify it for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jennet
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects