Workshop
Ask a question

Painted fence, new deck and pergola

PDM
Getting Established

Painted fence, new deck and pergola

Fence.png

Finished project.

I have an old fibre fence that my dad built 20+ years ago. The neighbour doesn't want to replace the fence so I am reduce to painting it. I am just trying to get ideas on the best way to clean it before I paint (unable to hi-pressure clean due to water restrictions). I have got Dulux Weathershield Woodland Grey and Dulux One Step Prep. Should I just use sugar soap, scrubbing brush, scourer and sponge?

Thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Tired Fibro Fence

Hi @PDM,

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're glad to have you join us.

Before you do your prep work, are you sure it does not contain asbestos? 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PDM
Getting Established

Hi Jason,

it does have asbestos. There are no breaks or cracks in it. My neighbour doesn’t want to replace it and I can’t afford to do it myself. So I’m reduced to cleaning it up and painting it

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@PDM you are best to consult a professional when dealing with asbestos.

As per government websites on asbestos sheeting, their advice is to remove it.

I can see you have searched online and found the suggestion of water based paint.

As a general rule you should not disturb it with agitation which you surely will when washing it.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

@PDM 

For information on the dangers of asbestos and advice for dealing with it, please contact your local council’s Environmental Health Officer or click on the links contained on the Health and Safety section of the Bunnings website.

Many thanks,

Jason

PDM
Getting Established

I sprayed the fence with Dulux Weathershield Momentum. I love the colour but now have to continue the whole fence! My new deck and pergola and updated rockery 

AC2F7D7C-4BA2-4246-9610-14A4AA439EA3.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great work, @PDM. That looks sensational, and you should be really proud of your efforts! I'm sure you're thrilled with the results.

Many thanks for sharing, and good luck with the rest of the fence.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects