Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber deck in backyard

RS
Getting Established

Timber deck in backyard

Hello folks, I've no prior experience in timber diy projects. I want to build a 4 by 8 metre deck flushing with the grass on a slightly sloped backyard. How should I prepare the ground so that there are no issues with drainage, pests, snakes etc?

I think I should do this:

1. Lay a weed mat directly on the fresh top soil

2. Build the base frame of deck with support posts into the soil about 30cm deep, screwed to the Base.

3. Fill the base completely with some gravel.

5. Install top layers.

Not sure about the type of timber, screws, etc.

Please help.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber deck in backyard

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RS. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

One of our fantastic members @Adam_W has just posted a comprehensive article on How to build a low-level deck which I would encourage you to read through. You can certainly lay gravel down to aid drainage and Adam_W goes into some detail about how to do this in his article.

I've put together a basic plan of the deck structure for you to work with. The bearers I've used are Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 190 x 45mm and the joists are Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 90 x 45mm. You'll need to contact your local council to check regulations, specification and whether a permit is required.

Here's a helpful step-by-step D.I.Y. article on How to build a timber deck which I trust you'll also find useful in the planning and building process.

Please let me know if you need further information or have any questions

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RS
Getting Established

Thanks very much. I'll go through the article and get back if I have questions.

RS
Getting Established

@MitchellMc  Hey mate, are you able to help me with cost estimation of this plan against any unit of measure such as per sqm? I've done mine per sqm but just not sure if this is correct or not

Screenshot_20200831-221818~2.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RS,

I've had a look myself at those figures and my cost estimation is very similar to yours. Please bear in mind this is just a rough estimation and doesn't necessarily translate well into the real world. You'll need to take into account stock availability of the timber you need and over length wastage on each piece of timber. It does, however, give you something to work with.

Please let me know if need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects