Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Take care when on the tools

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Take care when on the tools

Injuries.png

Between 2006 to 2014, seven per cent of Australian hospitalised injuries were attributed to power tools. 

A third of injuries were caused by grinders, mostly causing lacerations; followed by saws, causing amputation in about 15.5 per cent of cases; then welders, causing flash burns in 66 per cent of incidents, and drills, also causing serious lacerations. Too few were using sufficient eye protection, and eye injuries were common from all tools.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/power-tool-injuries-diyers-at-biggest-risk-study-finds-20190614-p51x...

What D.I.Y. tools do you reckon are the most dangerous to use?

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: Take care when on the tools

Bosch Blue tooth connectivity (Intelligent)  tools have an excellent range of Safety features Here

Protection that goes above and beyond

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks for sharing @MartyH  - always a timely reminder to stay safe on the tools.

I'd say the grinder is probably the most dangerous given their power and that grab.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Sorry this is an old post but I am a little new here and there are a few that I just feel obligated to comment on...apologies for resurrecting old posts everyone...

WOW @MartyH ...I don't think we have met before so pleasure to chat with you mate :smile:

That is an awesome 'heads up' sort of table to reflect on.

A third of injuries were caused by grinders, mostly causing lacerations; followed by saws, causing amputation in about 15.5 per cent of cases....Too few were using sufficient eye protection, and eye injuries were common from all tools.

What D.I.Y. tools do you reckon are the most dangerous to use?

I DON'T want to turn this into the potential 'I remember when I did this...' type of thread...it is not 'one-ups-manship' to claim that your injury was worse than another guys...please. I did want to highlight the above ones though. I have twice been to the doc with a metal shard from the angle grinder stuck in my eye. I had been working for hours with the angle grinder with 'full body armour' and it was those 5 seconds of 'nah I'll just zip that bit off and finish up' that landed me in the doctors surgery. I won't go into how they get the shard out for the sake of anyone squeamish (including me!)...but just put the glasses/goggles on. Yeah they fog up and can be a PITA...your choice.

As an Site Engineer I walked around and chastised the guys for not having proper PPE on and I heard the 'truck(?) you pretty boy' remarks as I was walking away. I have no intent to be spiteful or 'get mine back' by saying this - but those guys could be in those stats - so who's the pretty boy now? I'm no Brad Pitt but at least I have all my fingers...15.5% of injuries with saws (probably power saws?) requiring amputation should be stickied somewhere on every DIY forum. *touch wood* that is a SCARY stat.

I'll print this out and put it in on my garage wall. Personally I use my router a lot so I will add that to the list! I think some of that is  irrational fear of what 'could go wrong'; but every time I reach in to get a bit out of the collet that is stuck I check the power cord is out. The possible injury is disgusting at the least.

I will say that I don't have a table saw. If I did I believe that I would list that as the most dangerous tool...it seems that 'complacency' surrounds table saws. Along that thought I wonder how many of the injuries collated in that table could be attributed to that single word; 'complacency'? That would be (morbidly) interesting.

Anyway everything just in my humble opinion and I'm always happy to constructive  disagreement :wink:

Great post though mate...cheers for putting that up.
Peace

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects