Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions on how to install bistro/cafe blinds

Choco
Finding My Feet

Suggestions on how to install bistro/cafe blinds

Hello community, 

I am in need of some advice in regards to installing bistro/cafe blinds. From what I have gathered through watching a number of installation videos, these blinds can only be face mounted. However, my alfresco does not have a bulkhead or beam to which I can attach the blinds (see photo below).

What are other mounting options? Can I install some sort of beam and attach them to that? If this is possible, how do I go about it in a way that won’t compromise the structural integrity of my house? Thanks in advance.

5ba065c61451d830974620.jpg

Not my house but similar alfresco design.

16e9d875-2bd9-4aae-b718-9f05db9c0cd1.jpg

Cafe blinds from Bunnings.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Suggestions on how to install bistro/cafe blinds

Hi @Choco,

Great to have you joining in the discussion on the site after being a member for so long. We are looking forward to reading more of your posts and learning all about your projects and plans.

Could you post a photo of your house so members can see exactly what you are working with? I suspect it would help you to get more helpful and specific advice. 

Let me also tag some helpful members that might be able to assist you: @Brad@ProjectPete@MitchellMc@TheSaltyreefer@Prawns 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Choco. Many thanks for your question, I'd be glad to assist.

In the absence of fascia board to bolt into, an additional bulkhead may be installed on the underside of the ceiling. If you can locate a beam with a stud finder you can secure a 25 x 25 x 1.6mm 3m Galvanised Steel Square Tube inside the roofing edge. This can be fixed in place with M6 x 100mm Hot Dipped Galvanised Coach Screws. For a cleaner look, you may wish to oversize the initial hole in the wall of the tubing, allowing the screw to recess and fix internally. This hole could then be plugged up with round inserts and the beam painted.

Since the blind is now being fixed into a tube instead of a solid beam, it would be advised to bolt the blind to the tube.

If you needed further information or had other questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

beam.png

Thanks @MitchellMc  for the detailed response. This is exactly the sort of information I was after. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Choco.

I'm always more than happy to assist!

If you need any assistance or guidance through the installation process, please let me know.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects