Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Stop the Buzz

Trying
Making a Splash

Stop the Buzz

As the water level recedes in my beautiful Murray river, the mosquitoes are arriving in droves and are ferocious and large enough to carry you away. People are 'under attack' not just near the river but in town too. It seems the only good thing is that they are big enough to see and therefore swat before they bite, but most of us are too slow ! The 'Aussie Wave' has gone to the next level around here. What's the best way to avoid being bitten ?? Any suggestions Workshoppers ??

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Stop the Buzz

Just read about the potential plague about to descend. Here were their tips:

* Cover up. Wear light-coloured, loose-fitting clothing when outdoors.

* Use mosquito repellents containing DEET or picaridin on exposed skin.

* Try to limit outdoor activity if lots of mosquitoes are about (usually dusk and dawn).

* Make sure there is no stagnant water where mosquitoes can breed around your home by emptying flower pots, tyres, buckets, tins, bird baths and pet bowls weekly.

* Empty children’s wading pools when not being used and keep fishponds stocked with fish.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

mozzies.jpg

DanB
Growing in Experience

Mosquitoes love hanging out on my front verandah, as it's sheltered from the wind. I think they're coming from the drains nearby. I've put mesh screens over my own drains, but for the drains outside my property there is unfortunately not a lot I can do about it.

I've used an outdoor surface spray, which seems to be effective for a few weeks, but requires re-application. I've also tried planting plants that are supposed to repel mosquitoes like lemongrass, with mixed results...

The most effective strategy I've tried is setting up an oscillating fan outside. I mostly run it on humid days after it rains, and it generally seems to deter them from landing, as they don't seem to like even a gentle breeze. When I'm out on the verandah, I'll light a citronella candle and they'll generally steer clear.
BibbyKat
Having an Impact

creamy baby oil = no bites. And you wont smell like bug repellent?! Yes!:    

Mozzies love me .. they seem to single me out in a crowd! 

Maybe this might also help you???      Baby oil .. I have this on my Pinterest and tried it and  has helped me.  

Creamy baby oil = no bites. And you wont smell like bug repellent?! Yes!

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Trying, the Blood Bank's signed/written me off as a donor since my heart surgery, but I'm a nature lov'n giver, & tech's a buzz.  I'm all for those little AI (Artificial Intelligence) drones doing house calls & going about their buzziness.

Sheesh, I even supply my own beer to replace fluids, what more can a man do?

I feel your pain. I used to live one suburb away from a place that has a mosquito named after it, the Hexham Grey.
https://stalinsmoustache.org/2010/02/23/uber-mosquito-or-the-hexham-grey/

Great info @Isobel -our council just started giving out same on local media. I guess there are no guarantees except to leave town ! That won't be happening but gee my still itchy lumps and bumps from the last few days just won't quit. Still, takes more than mozzies on the hunt to beat us Aussies ! Thank you @BibbyKat@MartyH@Andy_Mann@Juliapinkiepie and@Isobel for your great suggestions.Cheers.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Made the mistake of leaving the bathroom window open for a couple of hours after dark last night. There were mozzies everywhere!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects