Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Side Gate

bazz27
Finding My Feet

Side Gate

Hi Everyone,

I just found this site last night and I love this idea! I am very much a begginer in the DIY world but want to do something with my hands that I can be proud of! I think I will be a regualr here given I am also looking to do a deck and a possibly a pergola.

So my first project is down the side of my house- I am looking at putting a gate in. The space is roughly 1600 wide. I am wanting to have access down the side if needed (very rarely) so I dont want to put a post in between. I am unsure if I should make two symetrical gates at 800 each or make a main gate at 1200. Given the location I am looking to cement one post in (fence side) and dynabolt the other side to the house.

The other thing I am not sure on is what to use on the front of the gate? I would like a horizontal dark wood look to match the house.

Would appreciate any tips anyone can give! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Side Gate

Great to have you join us @bazz27. I'm sure you can learn a lot from our clever and experienced community members.

This sounds like a terrific project. Before I hand over to the community to assist, you might find these previous discussions helpful and inspiring:

Thanks again for joining us and a very warm welcome to the community. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand with a home improvement project or have something to share. We look forward to seeing how this project and many others progress in the coming weeks and months...

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Side Gate

Just thought I'd bump this one for you @bazz27 as you didn't get a reply. Have you had a crack at it yet?

If not, this is probably a good start - https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/outdoor/fences-and-gates/how-to-build-a-gate 

Regarding the "dark wood look", that's more the stain you use rather than the wood itself. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects