Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shade options for west-facing patio

bruzzz
Getting Established

Shade options for west-facing patio

My backyard faces west and looking for suggestions to block/shade afternoon sun. 

4D05DD82-B69D-4116-A5CB-6519CFE0B826.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: shade for west facing patio

Hi @bruzzz,

Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to start the conversation.

We have a great range of simple and effective awningsbistro blinds and shade sails which could solve this issue for you.

A few articles which might assist you in making a decision are Shade ideas for any backyardA guide to instant shade options and How to keep your outdoors cool. Here are a couple of helpful step-by-step D.I.Y. guides on How to install bistro blinds and How to install a shade sail which I trust you'll find useful if you pick either of those options.

If you wanted a more natural option you could install some latticework or guidelines and espalier plants or grow vines to block the sun in the area. Let me mention the ever-helpful @Adam_W to see if he could share his thoughts on a landscaping or plant-based shade alternative.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bruzzz
Getting Established

@MitchellMc Thanks for your comment. Was thinking about an awning or latticework for climbing plants but there’s only one timber post and not sure if the steel beam is suitable to attach these things. Distance between the timber post and brick wall is about 5.40m. 

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@bruzzz,

You could always install a secondary Merbau 90 x 90mm 2.4m DAR Laminated Post closer to the house using a Simpson Strong Tie 185-205mm Concealed Square Post Base. This would give you two vertical points to start mounting lattice. There is also the Specrite 1800 x 600 x 33mm Merbau Garden Fence Panel which could look quite attractive in that space.

If you didn't wish to fix into the metal beam above then you could have several posts concreted into the ground at relevant spacings to attach the panels to.

You might also like to have a look at the Sliding timber screen community member @wooshka put together. It would be amazing if you could slide the screens back when you didn't need them in the mornings.

Mitchell

Hey @bruzzz 
Plants are always the best way to screen but... you're tight on space & the time screens take can be frustrating. Clumping bamboo is fast & may work but you'd need to make sure you select the right variety height-wise.
A shade-sail off the fascia of the awning may work but would need to be considered from an engineering perspective.

Roller-blinds may be doable & worth looking at.

As @MitchellMc mentioned maybe sliding screens?
There are some off-the-shelf options (which may be available through Bunnings, I know they were) but they may not be tall enough for you & would need some sort of bulkhead.
The situation you have is actually a typical, and difficult, one. Been there... done that... We bought a huge cantilevered umbrella that could be tilted to block sun.

bruzzz
Getting Established

I’ve been thinking about fixing a wire trellis vertically on the timber post and then go horizontally on the steel beam. What are your thoughts? Not sure if the steel beam can support that weight. Any fixing you’d recommend for this if possible? Cheers @Adam_W @MitchellMc 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@bruzzz,

I think I'll need either a rough diagram or some additional details to fully understand what you are mentioning. I don't think the steel beam will have issues dealing with the weight of wire trellis and plants.

Did you envisage trellis similar to the image below?

Mitchell

bruzzz
Getting Established

@MitchellMc Thanks for your reply. I wouldn’t like to cover that section completely. I was thinking about something like the photo attached. Run a wire trellis through the section highlighted in yellow. I would plant something at ground level next to the timber post and train it to Grow trough the yellow Line. I would Like the leaves to drop about a metre from the horizontal yellow line to provide shade from the afternoon sun (refer to red lines). 

Not sure if a plant is able to do that, any suggestions? I would like something that grows quick, doesn’t have invasive roots, it’s evergreen and has some colour as well (seasonal flowers would be a plus). also not sure what fixings could I use for the wire trellis. 

902B32FB-E6CA-4E2D-8FBD-6DDF2542EC34.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @bruzzz

I'm afraid @MitchellMc won't be back on the site until Friday as he is enjoying a well-earned break, but let me tag wonderful members in @Adam_W, @robchin and @Noelle to see if they might like to suggest some suitable plants to grow on the trellis. 

Jason

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @bruzzz 

Not sure of your location but you could look at training a climbing plant up the post and then across the top.  In cool to temperate climates, a wisteria, climbing rose or pandorea would do reasonably well, as would a passionfruit. In a warmer area bougainvillea, mandevilla, pandorea or Carolina jasmine (Gelsemium sempervirens) would all do OK.

Any further thoughts, @Adam_W ?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects