Workshop
Ask a question

Ideas for deck area

maknilsin
Making a Splash

Ideas for deck area

Hi everybody! 

Some of you may know that I've been hard at work for months on my Backyard Makeover. After what has been an ordeal, (I promise to update my original post with the many steps that were taken to finally get us to to this point) my deck is finally erected.

20171003_174849.jpg

So I still need to complete the cladding on my planter boxes and complete my ledge along the fence - but I'm now at a point that I'm not too sure what to do. 

So I'd love to see everyone's deck pics for some inspiration for my own space. And any suggestions are most welcome!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Send me your deck pics

@maknilsin

Looks like a fantastic space. Well done. Do you envisage the area is primarily for entertaining?

Best addition to our deck was plumbing in a barbecue. The small investment in the plumber paid for itself in no time and there's no more running out of gas...

Second best investment was a very large Jarrah outdoor table with benches that can accommodate plenty of family and friends.

Third, a retractable outdoor blind to give sun protection.   

I'm sure the community will have lots of ideas and inspiration for you. Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with...

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@maknilsin

Hopefully you've also gone to the Workshop Gallery and filtered by Decking and Paving....

Jason

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Lookin the goods @maknilsin

First thing that came to mind for me are some nice cushions so you can get as close to the timber as possible while kicking back with a beer.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

@Jason I did know you could do that! I'll have to take a look.

@ProjectPete cushions could be a great idea. A good way to bring some colour into the space as well.

stupidfish
Building a Reputation

Hope you don't get bombarded with deck pics! :hysterical:

Totally agree with what @Jason said about getting your BBQ plumbed - so much easier than gas bottles. Can also get an outdoor fridge put in at the same time for keeping the beers cold.

Also, get yourself a day bed or large hammock so that you can chill out on your deck this summer!

Speaking of furniture, we bought some of these colourful Acapulco-style chairs on the weekend for relaxing by the pool. Might also work for adding colour to your deck area @maknilsin?

Jason

A late comment but your original post inspired to post my own handiwork. Suggest adding plants to soften & add a "natural" feel--we're training bougainvilleas along our Domino painted fence: good contrast plus the brightly coloured flowers add pizzazz.

@pete_brig - just took a look at your post! Your backyard is looking fantastic. Definetely makes me want to get back into my yard and polish it up a little bit. I've been somewhat avoiding getting out there and getting the planter boxes up to snuff. I'm not the greatest green thumb going around so to say I'm wary of planting anything is an understatement. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects