Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Seeking pool renovation ideas

dallasclark
Growing in Experience

Seeking pool renovation ideas

Hi all,

First project in the new house.

I'm seeking some ideas to transform the pool area and making it the central feature as you walk out into the back patio. I'm not entirely sure on budget yet, this is major project #1 of #5 so I can't spend too much.

I have thought about building a deck and cover the broken concrete pebble areas on the side of the pool, but not entirely sure on the impact it will have with pool fencing requirements and whether or not I'm allowed to increase the distance between the pool water and the side of the pool.

Would be nice to have a deck that joins the back door and extends out and around the pool. Hopefully I can do this without having to lift the patio concrete up?

Thanks !

Dallas

IMG_0308.jpgIMG_0309.jpgIMG_0310.jpgIMG_0311.jpgIMG_0323.JPGIMG_0324.JPG

Allan72
Having an Impact

Re: Seeking Pool Renovation Ideas

Hi Dallas,

I’m assuming the back patio area is cordoned off by the glass fencing? If so, l reckon you might consider overdecking the back patio and extending the run of the deck down to the pool? It would open the area up but you would need to consider how fencing requiremets could still be achieved in accordance with regulations. Perhaps you might consider re-coping over the existing pebble of the pool with a solid paver (there are some good travertine options) and bringing the top level of the deck flush with this. It would give you a nice clean look. I suspect the pebble could be removed back to the concrete on the flat level surface if it’s deteriorating or coming off. The far side of the pool could be developed into a low maintenance garden they would provide a nice backdrop from the patio. It wouldn’t take much to make it look good. You would want to proceed with caution when putting footings in around the pool, unless you know where the pool infrastructure is (I did something similar). I’d then look to masonry bolt or dynabolt joists into the patio as rails for your decking making sure to maintain a level run with the pool coping. Anyway just my thoughts and hope they help in developing your ideas. 

Allan72

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looks like a beautiful space @dallasclark. I'm sure you can make further improvements with the help of the community.

What state are you in? It might be helpful information in regards to your pool fencing regulations. 

In regards to decking around a pool, you might also be interested in this project from @Adam_W - Timber-free deck. There's also more shots of the area here - Owner-builder reno & extension project

Hope that helps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dallasclark
Growing in Experience

Thanks @Allan72,

Correct, but only for a portion of it where it meets the back patio area. See new photos added to the original post. I would be keen to make the deck start from the back door step and extend all the way to the pool.

I didn't consider the pool's pipes and wiring for the underwater lights so thanks for the heads up.

Dallas

@Jason I live in Logan, Queensland.

- Dallas

Hi Dallas,

Should look great when done, especially if you can get a good run down to the pool and the fencing sorted. Thought I’d share some pictures of my deck work and paving around my pool. I finished it about 18 months ago. The deck is level with the pool coping and wraps around a significant portion of the pool. I used the Camo jig screwing product to secure deck boards. The screws are customised for use with the jig. It’s more expensive but saves time and gives a good clean finish. My pool return pipes and electrical wiring are buried under the deck so I proceeded with real caution when doing footing work. My plans weren’t accurate. I’m still yet to screen off the back and the pump house but the garden on the far side is now established and looks good. Still heaps to do in thr garden area surrounding the pool!! Perhaps it could help with ideas. Allan72

200FC313-3609-499A-B133-20E686572E9A.jpeg

A07E9702-C834-4283-A72E-10257ABEFFC0.jpeg

AED08645-186D-42E5-8344-EDBC2D43C64B.jpeg

5405AA90-8BA4-46E6-BF24-13F2A8814E49.jpeg

910E910E-D36B-4E8E-97BD-904C06DBE2A7.jpeg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello Dallas,

I suggest the following.

1. Remove glass fence and make a cement footing for the glass fence to increase its height by at least 200 mm this should be enough height to clear your on ground decking. You may adjust according to need but remember that the cement footing you create must be strong enough to hold the glass fencing as you will need to re-install it after putting your deck down.

2. Cover the aircon with a trellis timber cover. Design is at your discretion as long as its covered and looks like its part of your deck.

3. Put your pool chemicals and childrens toys in a keter storage box. Its timber design should go well with your decking.

Here are some pictures that might stimulate the imagination. I suggest using Ecodek as it is an artificial decking and is not suceptible to rot and you can install this very close to the ground. Do some research about on ground decking. My son suggested to put a trim around the pool decking area. It was an excellent suggestion however I've run out of time to edit your deck pictures. Cheers and goodluck!I suggest low level benches around where the plants are.I suggest low level benches around where the plants are.Make sure that the ground is sloped and has proper drainage so water will not pool under the deck.Make sure that the ground is sloped and has proper drainage so water will not pool under the deck.Your choice of decking furniture, but lets tidy up the toys and chemicals with a keter box.Your choice of decking furniture, but lets tidy up the toys and chemicals with a keter box.Chemicals, pool noodles, balls etc...out of sight out of mind.Chemicals, pool noodles, balls etc...out of sight out of mind.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

My apologies had I looked longer I would have seen the giant keter box you already have! Before I forget please check with your local council about about on ground decking and pool fence laws. Best to check before building so that we comply with council regulations.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

dallasclark
Growing in Experience

Thanks @Allan72,

Your new pool area is looking amazing. Thanks for the inspiration.

I have considered the Camo Deck Screws, I like how they appear hidden but this isn't a huge concern in my opinion.

Dallas

Wow, thanks @redracer01. The photos have definitely confirmed that I'm going to build a deck from the back step, all the way to the lip of the water.

No worries on mentioning the keter storage box, I'm keen to throw out the old and get a new one.

Dallas

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects