Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Seeking outdoor paving ideas

syezdani822
Just Starting Out

Seeking outdoor paving ideas

E442D993-22DF-4DE3-9071-F95DB2000E37.jpeg

0E7322B4-4521-463C-8DDC-25C1CF0F7F3A.jpeg

331197A5-AA2A-48D0-AFF5-30D3345FCC28.jpeg

Hello all, I have just come across this community and feeling really happy to see all the help and advices from all with a Bit of motivation as well. I’d like to seek ideas to choose the right flooring type for my backyard and guide to make that happen. Things to consider is something of low budget and maintenance afterwards. I’m happy with just a functional outdoor space. I have attached few photos of my backyard. Right now it’s fairly flat and about 100mm lower than my indoor floor level. Thank you all and I wish you all remain safe. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Seeking Outdoor flooring idea

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @syezdani822. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

It's fantastic to have you join us and we look forward to assisting with your project. When you mention flooring are you thinking of constructing a deck out of timber? In order for a deck to be installed there needs to be sufficient distance between the deck timbers and the soil level. With only 100mm of space to work with you will need to remove a substantial amount of soil and create all the joist and bearers from H4 treated pine.

Where there any designs for outdoor flooring, which you had seen and that you could share, so we can get a better understanding of what you want to achieve?

You might like to take a look at our range of synthetic grass as it requires minimal if any maintenance and looks fantastic. It would certainly provide a functional outdoor space and you could lay it yourself. Here's a helpful step-by-step D.I.Y. article on How to lay synthetic turf which I trust you'll find helpful.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitch 

Thanks very much for your reply. Yes timber decking was in my mind but as you have said the drop is a challenge as well as the cost. I was thinking of concrete or paving. The problem is I’m not sure how much ground preparation will be needed and whether I’m able to do it myself. Thanks for the suggestion for synthetic turf but unfortunately we are not a fan of that. Could you please share your thought on whether concreting or paving comes with less hassle and cost. Thanks again !

@syezdani822,

Whether it is paving or concrete you can certainly to the preparation work yourself. Depending on the size of the slab, you might like to consider having a company pour the concrete. Both paving and a concrete slab will start with a layer of road base around 6-7cm thick. This then needs to be compacted down to 5cm thick. Instead of compacting by hand, you can hire a compactor to make the job easier.

Our very talented member @Adam_W has an article on  How to lay paving for a path which will be a very similar process. There is also a step-by-step D.I.Y. tutorial How to lay pavers on our website.

Overall cost and hassle will be determined by what type of pavers you choose and how much of the work you do yourself. I'd encourage you to get a few quotes on having the concrete slab poured and then we can weigh those up against the costing for pavers.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects