Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Security door mesh refit

Robyhe
Just Starting Out

Security door mesh refit

Wanting to replace flyscreen mesh on front security door with tougher aluminium mesh, anyone done this before and if yes please enlighten me on how you achieved this task.

thanks in advance

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Security door mesh refit

Hi @Robyhe,

Welcome to the Workshop community. It's great to have you join us. We trust that you'll get loads of helpful advice and project inspiration from our clever and creative members.

This is actually the second similar post to pop up over the weekend so looks to be a popular topic. 

Could we trouble you for a photo of your door? It might help members suggest the best approach.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

You will want to take the door off so you can work on a flat surface.
Remove the spline from the groove, awl works best but a screwdriver is more common, if the spline is still in good condition you can reuse it.
Clean the groove!
Lay the mesh over the frame and you should have a 3mm or more overhang on the frame for safety.
An expert would cut a 45 degree in the corners stopping short of the groove, me being a novice I would cut one corner at a time.
Using a spline roller press the spline into the groove, sags and wrinkles is not a good look so be careful. The experts start about 1/3 along from the bottom which doesn't seem right to me but who am I to disagree? Work around the corners rather than cutting the spline. Most finish with the spline slightly short so the gap can be the starting point of any future spline removal.
Trim the excess of with a Stanley knife being careful not to cut the spline.
Rehang your door.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great stuff @Brad. That's a fantastic step-by-step guide for @Robyhe to follow.

Much appreciated,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects