Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Screening to hide hot water systems

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Screening to hide hot water systems

Quick job ticked off the liston the wknd - installing screening with a creeping plant to hide our hot water systems. Nothing fancy, nice and easy - does the job!

Fixed it to the wall with 3 heavy duty angle brackets and some Ramset anchors.

At the rate these creepers...creep...the screening will be about 60% covered by next winter.

IMG-20190617-WA0000.jpgIMG-20190617-WA0001.jpgIMG-20190617-WA0002.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Re: Screening to hide hot water systems

Thanks for the info on the heat-pump and thats a good tip on not using the booster, i guess it will be a bit of a learning curve for us as were in Canberra and with the extremes of temperature it can get down to -5 on a regular basis in winter and then upto the mid 40's in summer. I'm looking forward to getting our heat-pump installed and running, it's been sitting in the garage for a few weeks now as i've been just been plodding-along preparing the surrounds of where it will be installed, concrete slab etc (might have overdone this a bit putting 100kgs of concrete plus 20kgs of fine gravel into the hole), stripping and painting timber windows close to where the heat-pump will be positioned (didn't want to be dropping paint on it afterwards) etc . In the past we've had just the plain electric storage hot water systems, the latest one is 12 years old now and starting to show it's age, have changed it's element and thermostat recently just to keep it going until we decided what our next step would be. As we put solar panels on the roof back in 2013 and have been pretty happy with the results so far we thought this heat-pump might be the the next step to save some more energy. Hope it works out 'cause if it doesn't my missus won't be happy :smile:

Hi @Moobersan and @antiscab,

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We trust that you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our clever and creative community members. Please feel free to browse the thousands of posts on the site, join in as much as possible, and share your own projects and plans. We look forward to seeing what you have planned for your own house and garden. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

@ProjectPete hi mate. 

Nice little project and nice way to hide the hot water service.

Just curious what timber you used?

I'm building a sliding gate at home soon and that's the colour I'm after.

Thank always for your great help and advice.

Kind regards Rob 👍

I just used the premade screening panels from Bunnings @gippslandhome. This is exactly how they come - nice and easy

----------
Handy and helpful

Thanks @ProjectPete .

Much appreciated mate. I'm working at the moment on designing and building a metal and timber sliding gate to section off part of our property. First time doing a sliding gate so  should be fun 👍

Yoda
Getting Established

Thank you all for your contributions and I think I have now,  not one but two solutions to 2 problems. That screening with a vine will be excellent as the wife is a very keen gardner. When we purchased here in 2/2019 and moved we had to hire a small Pantec mainly because of her 135 plants plus pots etc. 

Its noted that you have imitation turf. We have a long lowset house with the only real access down one side. That pathway ????? is rocks and sand and very difficult to move along. Our current solution is to get rid of a lot of rocks and then put down and compact decomposed granite. That means some of the deco granite will get carried inside. I think I will put imitation turf over the granite and solve another problem.

Thank you all 

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Glad to have helped @Yoda :smile:

Fake grass is a winner! It's important to get the right type for your use so consider the stitch rate and pile length when choosing yours, ie. there's the best quality stuff which everyone will try and sell you but you may not need but equally there's some very cheap stuff that you want to avoid. Happy to get into more detail when you're ready (a new post for discussion would be better though).

----------
Handy and helpful

Hi, I saw your post about using the fake grass. I am trying the plastic vertical plant that come in pieces that are about 50 x 50cm. Using 6 altogether. Having trouble getting it to stick to the water system though. Could you provide some suggestions? TIA

Hi @Michelle3,

Welcome to Workshop. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand.

Let me tag @ProjectPete for you so he is alerted to your question. You might want to share a photo of what you are working with or perhaps a little more specific information so he can assist. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jason, thanks for your reply. My partner ended up putting up some little screws as it’s only the cover. Looks good 😄

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects