Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Screening to hide hot water systems

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Screening to hide hot water systems

Quick job ticked off the liston the wknd - installing screening with a creeping plant to hide our hot water systems. Nothing fancy, nice and easy - does the job!

Fixed it to the wall with 3 heavy duty angle brackets and some Ramset anchors.

At the rate these creepers...creep...the screening will be about 60% covered by next winter.

IMG-20190617-WA0000.jpgIMG-20190617-WA0001.jpgIMG-20190617-WA0002.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
TheRoseMan
Getting Established

Re: Screening to hide hot water systems

Hi there ProjectPete, nice job on the screening, looks very professional. I was just having similar thoughts about screening and possibly an awning to go over my new exterior hot water system and I came across your screening project. The thing that really got my attention is your hot water system, if I'm not mistaken it's a chromagen midea 170l heat pump, same as the one I have just purchased and am currently preparing the site for installation. I'd be really interested in what you think of your heat-pump HWS and I guess we could swap notes on why we've chosen to go with heat-pump HWS's. Hope to hear from you soon, regards TRM.
Kimbo
Finding My Feet

Just wanted to know what the creeper was that you planted at the base of the screen.

Thanks

Kimbo

Thanks @TheRoseMan - simple but effective screening to hide those units a little.

I've had the heat pump since Feb when I moved into my house I built and have no complaints. I got it for the energy efficiency and reduced environmental impact. I have two - one to service each flor of my house.

----------
Handy and helpful

Hi @Kimbo, it's a Climbing Ficus. They're a fast growing climber which I've used before and been happy with. They're quite aggressive so can cause some mischief if they start growing on brittle/dislodgeable things. I'll make sure they don't creep onto my brickwork.

----------
Handy and helpful

Thanks ProjectPete, yes i went to the heat-pump when my old storage HWS started to have issues heating up, as it turns out i have replaced the element and thermostat to keep it going until i get my new heat-pump installed. I think i might start a new post about how i put the 'slab' in to support my hws, might be interesting for someone. Cheers for now, TheRoseMan.

Hi @Kimbo and @TheRoseMan,

Great to see you join in this discussion kicked off by the wonderful @ProjectPete. Many thanks for making your first Workshop posts. A very warm welcome to the community to you both. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the Workshop site, or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

We look forward to reading more about your own projects and plans very soon. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Good to see you back again @Jason :wink:

----------
Handy and helpful

I have one of those 30000 lt tanks and they are quite ugly, I was thinking about painting 8it the same colour as the colourbond fence, but this looks like a good alternative.

I have one of those midea heat pump units too, installed in 2016
takes ages to heat up when outside is both under 5 deg C and low humidity.
Otherwise it's been great

One thing though, don't use the booster element (or at least don't only use it). It only heats up the top half of the tank, and also only starts heating when you have used more than half the tank.
hybrid mode works okay, but try using heat pump only first

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects