Workshop
Ask a question

What timber to use for a sandpit?

gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

What timber to use for a sandpit?

Hello Community Members 😁, I was just wondering what timber I can get from Bunnings to build a metre X metre child's sandpit with a lid.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards Rob Colbert 👍😁

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Re: Sandpit Timber Ideas

Jarrah is always good, rot, termite and fire resistance is good if you look after it. You con get suitable jarrah in the fencing section. And of course, not toxic to the Kids. Will the timbers be resting directly on the ground, though? I'd suggest a good base of pour in place rubber under the pit and surrounding, and the put the pit on that. And jarrah is dense and heavy - maybe make the lid out of another wood if you want the kids to be able to lift it by themselves. Will this be in an open-to-all-weathers situation, or under a shade sail or ???

Thank you for your reply.

I'm going to build a sail.

But just interested in the type of timber

I would think Jarrah as well.

I would think sleepers for the frame and screening/pailings/decking but the website does not list any in SA although I know my local store has at least stock in decking.

Here seems as relevant as anywhere else to ask @Jason if he can find out why products like Jarrah and Meranti are disappearing off the website but still are available in store?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Happy to pass your feedback onto the Bunnings team @Brad. My understanding from previous discussions is that the team is working with suppliers about how to improve the accuracy of descriptions and stock levels for timber on the website. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
regsofweb
Just Starting Out

What timber to use to build a sandpit?

Hi all,

I want to build a sandpit for kids in my backyard. What timber should I use? First I prepared some H4 sleepers. But went through a webpage of EPA, said CCA treated pine can't be used for play furniture.

Many thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What timber to use to build a sandpit?

Hello @regsofweb 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a sandpit.

You're absolutely correct H4 CCA treated timber must not be used for playgrounds or vegetable gardens. 

Instead, I suggest using MicroPro Sienna 200x50 Sleepers. Its pressure treated with Micronized Copper Azole (MCA) to protect the wood against fungal decay and termite attack. The main ingredient in the preservative system is copper, which is an effective wood preservative.

Here are some discussions that might give you more ideas for your sandpit:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply. I can't find MicroPro Sienna 200x50 Sleeper in any Bunnings around Hills area. Will the pre-oiled merbau decking board fit this job? It's only H3.

Hi @regsofweb,

I apologise for that. We don't appear to have any MicroPro of ACQ-treated sleepers in your area.

You could use either Pine or Merbau decking boards for the construction of your sandpit. The Pine decking is H3-treated with a non-arsenic-based treatment, so it's fine to use. Typically, Merbau decking being a hardwood doesn't have a treatment applied to it apart from the oiling process. If either of these products will be in direct contact with the ground, it would be best to paint the side on the ground with bitumen paint. This will prevent water from being constantly wicked up into the timber and the early onset of decay.

I put together a little rendering for you for a 1000 x 1000mm sandpit, including two bench seats. 90 x 45mm H3-treated Pine (also suitable for play equipment) can be used for the uprights and frame. You might also like to check out this guide on How to build a sandpit with foldable cover. With some adjustments, you could vary that design to suit decking for the sides.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects