Workshop
Ask a question

Retro ice box

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Retro ice box

I needed a large esky for Christmas day but couldn't afford one so bought an 80 litre storage tub from Bunnings, filled with ice it worked well. I decided to build a timber box and frame around it with a lid and packed the sides with styrene foam. Painted to match my outdoor furniture and I am very happy with the results. Stays cold and lasts as long as any cooler. I already had the offcuts of timber and left-over paint so just a cheap and simple project.IceBox 01.jpg

IceBox 02.jpg

Rhys
Cultivating a Following

Re: Retro Ice Box

Awesome idea

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looks fantastic @Stuardo. Many thanks for sharing. I'm sure this will inspire other community members, particularly those suffering from recent heat.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kmc
Just Starting Out

love the ice box. I would like to make one, How did you make it. I am new at the wood working stuff for my first attempt I would like to make one. What sort of materials where used and how was it up together

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Workshop @kmc. You've come to the right place if you want a hand with your first woodworking project. I'm sure @Stuardo and many of our woodworking afficiandos would be happy to give you a hand. You'll also find lots of other inspiring projects as you browse the site. 

Please let me know if you need any help getting the most from the site. 

Jason

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Hi @kmc, thanks for the interest. I started out with the 80 L plastic storage box from Bunnings and built the icebox around its dimensions with some left over timber. The legs are 90 x 18mm pine, cut to 800mm long, 8 pieces. Two for each leg glued and screwed at right angles on the lengths. 7mm plywood for the box measured to the largest dimensions of the storage box 4 sides plus about 25mm for wriggle room. I placed the 4 sides together around the storage box on the floor to make sure it was going to fit and made sure there would be enough room between the timber and the plastic to stuff styrene foam (cut from foam boxes) around the sides to insulate. I layed 2 of the legs on the floor and put the long side piece of ply inside the angles, glued and nailed. Did the same for the other long side. Then brought it together with the small sides glued and nailed and made sure it was square and tried the storage box inside it. Put a frame around the top edge and another frame inside that to fit into the 7mm ply lid hinged to the back. Turned it upside down with the storage box inside and slid pieces of styrene around the sides and bottom to insulate. Then put a base on it and turned it up the right way. Drill a hole through the bottom big enough for a bung or cork to drain. Another piece of styrene inside the lid and make sure it all works then sand and paint. You might want to put a chain or chord inside the lid to stop it opening all the way. Fill with ice and enjoy at your next BBQ. Keep it simple and I hope you have fun. 

IceBox 03.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great stuff @Stuardo. Many thanks for the comprehensive reply. I'm sure @kmc appreciates it.

Also fantastic to see that your project has already received over 1000 views from the community. I'm sure this has inspired many. 

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects