Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Retaining wall using Eziwall Lite Retaining Wall Block

trevor_s
Finding My Feet

Retaining wall using Eziwall Lite Retaining Wall Block

What is the proper way to install these blocks? Some neighbours say to place on the ground and some say to put on a concrete bedding.

The wall is going to 5 layers tall and its cut into the existing land slope to allow a pathway to be built.

retaining wall.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Retaining wall using Eziwall Lite Retaining Wall Block

Looks like a great project @trevor_s. I'm sure our members will be able to assist with some advice for you. 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're pleased you could join us and look forward to seeing more of your projects in the future. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. We have loads of members who are happy to share information, inspiration and advice. 

Please also let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@trevor_s
I suggest you refer to the manufacturers Engineering/Construction Data Sheet
Personally, I always recommend Footings & Starter bar with the first block half into the ground. hth

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

@trevor_s

They say "Minimal foundation preparation is required..."

There's some documentation here - http://www.firth.co.nz/residential/retaining-and-fences/ezi-wall/ 

Video below...

Thank you for the information..Very helpful

cahfoon
Finding My Feet

@trevor_s 

Hi Trevor did you end up finding your answer? Do you have pics of your work? I’m going to attempt an eziwall retaining too. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @cahfoon

Thank you for joining the discussion. Let me tag @trevor_s so that they are made aware of your question. If you are planning on building your own Eziwall we would love to see your project. Any photos or updates you can share would be much appreciated by our memebrs.

Here is a link to Firth's Eziwall DTS: Eziwall

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W, @TedBear, and @JoeAzza to see if they've used this product.

We look forward to seeing your Eziwall built.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @trevor_s and welcome!
By the book, any masonry (block, brick or stone) retaining wall needs to be installed on a reinforced concrete strip footing. The first course of blocks then needs to be fixed to this strip footing either with a mortar bed or, as @BIM_Engineer  said, starter bar (reinforcing steel that's sticking up from & is part of the strip footing) . And as was also said that first course should be half below ground.
Will a wall work without this footing? Yes. But the issue is for how long and whether it will start to lean or subside in section.
I should just mention that installing a strip footing really isn't to difficult, just a bit of work.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects