Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Restoring Metal Fence

WendyKnight23
Just Starting Out

Restoring Metal Fence

I am restoring a very old metal fence and am trying to remove old paint & rust. I have used paint stripper, scrapped. washed, repeated, used wire brush, wire wheel is there anything that will make it easier to get that last stubborn layer off?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Restoring Metal Fence

Welcome to the Workshop community @WendyKnight23. I'd be happy to assist with your question.

It would be great if you could upload some images so our helpful community members can see what the last stubborn layer looks like.

Have you tried sanding the surface with an electric sander and coarse grit sandpaper? 

As long as the surface is smooth with the previous layer of paint being sound and not flaking there are many self-priming paints which will bond perfectly to previously painted surfaces. The range of Dulux epoxy enamel paints would be suitable for this application.

If you require further assistance or has questions about this range of paints, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects