Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Remove Synthetic Grass Adhesive

marcelgdc
Finding My Feet

Remove Synthetic Grass Adhesive

Hi guys,

Any tips about removing the synthetic grass adhesive(https://www.bunnings.com.au/tuff-turf-320g-synthetic-grass-adhesive_p3300306) from the floor without damaging it? 
I've tried the glue rid (https://www.bunnings.com.au/diggers-1l-glue-rid_p1560457) but it does not help much.

Thank you

1.jpg2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Remove Synthetic Grass Adhesive

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @marcelgdc. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

I am currently awaiting a response from Tuff Turfs technical assistants on your issue. I will let you know their response as soon as they get back to me.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, 

Thanks for the support.

I've sent a message to Tuff turfs but the answer was not so helpful:

"To remove the adhesive from your floor maybe try a floor scrapper and some turps

Good Luck with it"

Hi @marcelgdc,

There are only a few methods available to you in removing the adhesive, they are chemical, heat and mechanical. You could try some Acetone as it might soften the glue enough to allow you to use a GEP 12 Floor And Wall Scraper. Please, make sure to use adequate safety gear including safety glasses, respirator and gloves whilst using Acetone. The Acetone is likely to start stripping any sealer that was used on the slate originally as well.

heat gun could also be used to soften the adhesive. However, not in combination with the Acetone as it is extremely flammable. This would be a lengthy process and you would need to heat the adhesive up significantly to have any effect.

pressure washer might be able to take off a limited amount of the adhesive which isn't bonded well.

As a last resort, you could potentially look at sanding the glue off. It will obviously scratch the slate pavers significantly in the process, however, once the glue is off you could use finer grits to return them to smooth.

There is a possibility of having reasonable success on the slate, but those concrete steps are porous and the adhesive is likely deep inside making it tough to get out. An option might be to paint them if you don't make much progress.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thanks for all tips.

I'll start trying the Acetone and scraper then if it does not work I go for the heat gun and pressure washer.

Let you know the results as soon as I've done it.

Thank you

Marcel

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects