Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Preventing paint bleed while using masking tape

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

Preventing paint bleed while using masking tape

G’day All, I am painting a door With 2 colours and have experienced paint bleed through masking tape. See pictures attached. I have to retouch the paint but want to avoid further bleed. Any suggestions would be welcome. Many thanks in advance. Chris

4187281E-1ECF-40AC-9E54-E4481722BC4F.jpeg32B8CAC5-2A0D-4DD4-84F9-89F7BFF2C5BC.jpeg

Madmoggy
Having an Impact

HOW TO: Prevent paint bleed while using masking tape

There are all sorts of tape and I have found the simplest and most effective Way to reduce bleed through by using paint. Say for example you have a white painted board and yo want to mask up an area that your going to paint red. Mask the edge on the white surface and paint the edge to be red WHITE. This will seal the tape edge and if there’s bleed through it won’t be visible.

Then when thats dry, paint the area red. Removing the tape will leave a clean line. Another idea is to use clear and seal it the same way too. With each additional,colour paint the tape edges with the colour the tape is over lapping.

For textured surfaces test a bit with paint or go for a caulk/filler

the Bunnings logo is about 70 mm diameter was made by painting surface red two coats, then made stencil with masking tape and then a coat of red to stop bleed through, and then two coats dark green WOW look at how clean that came out no bleed through for this I used SAMURAI razor edge delicate masking tape475813EA-90BE-4670-925F-8E08AA4AA2EB.jpeg9D320524-72AB-4D8A-9D2F-5757BEA41C18.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects