Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pressure clean sand and stain outdoor deck

indeed
Getting Established

Pressure clean sand and stain outdoor deck

HI All , 

i am starting a DIY project on giving some life to my deck. 

i would appreciate any help i can get from this forum . 

its a Merbau deck (around 50 sqmts) and am keen to seek this forums advice .

where can i rent a pressure sprayer to first give it a good wash 

what sort of sand paper should i be using , coarse sanding (P40 sandpaper) or fine sanding (P280 sandpaper).

finally the water based paint to be applied ,  Intergrain 1L Water Based Cedar / Cypress UltraDeck ? is this the good =deck.jpgdeck1.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Pressure Clean sand and stain outdoor deck

Hello @indeed and a big welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and we are looking forward to seeing you renew your deck as well as complete other projects around the house and garden. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand.

You might be interested in the deck renewal project I shared a few years ago as the deck looks to be in similar condition.

I would be strongly considering hiring a floor sander to complete the project. While the hire shop at your local Bunnings is currently closed due to Covid-19, it will be reopening very soon. If you sand the deck, then you are unlikely to need a pressure washer. However, if you wanted to avoid sanding then you could try a pressure washer first and see how the timber comes up.    

I used 40 grit paper for the first sand, then went over with an 80 grit. I used Intergrain Ultradeck to oil the timber after sanding and was very pleased with the results.

Hope that helps get you started. I'm sure other community members will be more than happy to assist. Don't hesitate to ask.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @indeed 

Last time I did my deck I sanded it. Using a pressure washer brings up too many fibers and splinters then you end up sanding it any way. My vote Intergrain brand as well.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

indeed
Getting Established

Many Thanks Jason , 

your deck renewal project blog is quite helpful . i will definitely try the floor sander instead of pressure wash and see how it come out .

any water based oil do you recommend ?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback @indeed. Integrain Ultradeck is water-based.

Jason

indeed
Getting Established

Thanks Jason ,

do you think i need to apply the cleaner Intergrain 4L UltraPrep Timber Cleaner | Bunnings Warehouse  first and then apply the timber oil

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @indeed,

Are you planning on sanding the deck? If not, then I would highly recommend you use the UltraPrep cleaner first as the deck is greyed and has patchy colour to it. If you do sand you most likely will not have to use the cleaner.

Mitchell

indeed
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell, 

yes i am planning to sand it first and would use the Integrain Ultradeck instead .

Will post this group on how it comes out 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

@redracer01was that using a decking brush with the pressure washer or straight pressure wash please?

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

With pressure wash and brush. It was a family affair!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects